585,567 active members*
3,406 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hardinge Lathes > Vari-Grip collet closer rotary union

Vari-Grip collet closer rotary union

Hi,

Has anyone successfully repaired/rebuilt a varigrip collet closer? Mine is leaking air as expected. I need to replace the bearings in the rotary union and perhaps re-do the bronze bushing. Is there a trick to pulling these bearings? I see a shoulder on the aluminum hub, is this perhaps a threaded on retainer? I can't seem to remove it....the rotary union is currently removed from the draw bar/air cylinder. My primary interest is removing the bearings. Any suggestions?
    Also, how are current modern rotary unions sealed and capable of sustaining high rpm?

Okay, got the bearings out. The aluminum hub is sold. I used a map torch on it for a bit. The expansion was enough to help drive the bearings out. I made a simple tool to engage the bearing from the inside on the inner race. Just a bent 1/4 steel rod with the end ground to touch the bearing. A gentle blow with a brass bar on the tool in a few spots is all it took to get it out.
    As suspected, the bronze inner bushing is worn.
    Has anyone come up with a clever sealing method for this rotary union?

Re: Vari-Grip collet closer rotary union

Did you ever resolve this? I have a cobra42 hardinge lathe with the same leaking air issue and looking to find a solution other than buying a multi thousand dollar replacement. thanks in advance!

Chris