585,902 active members*
4,627 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Spindle Speed Settings

Spindle Speed Settings

I try to set the spindle speed in MCx5 but can't find in the manual how to do it.

The manual says that any changes in the tool settings window of the operation manager are not saved. So where do I input my spindle speed?

I would like to be able to change the spindle speed because for different cuts I use different spindle speed
    Nicolas

Lathe or mill ?

normally speed, feed, coolant settings are set in the tool parameters ( when you create/edit the tool )
    - not on the operation parameter settings. ie the tool's page

if you modify tooling settings on the operation, they only apply to that operation, and will be lost if you re-select the same ( or another ) tool.
    ( there is a setting in the configuration file.... to "unlock" previously set speeds & feeds if you wish to alter your settings )

I'm assuming lathe .....
    if you want different settings for different cuts, then copies of the same tool would need to be created with the differing specs.

Query.....why not use CSS ( constant surface speed ) ?
    .... remember to set a top RPM clamp speed so that the spindle does not get too high as you approach the centreline

Sorry Superman, it’s a mill

I don’t see anywhere CSS but I see somewhere a SFM

Playing around this morning but have been unable to get it. As per attached, line 150 still shows S200 and it should have been 6000. I went to the menus and selected material as wood (it's my 1st cut so I want to try the machine 1st on something soft), selected the end mill, calculated the spindle speed which was around 6K, regenerate, and the code is still unchanged. The feed rates change but not the spindle speed

Not so important because I can edit the gcode to S6000 but I'm now curious why
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.JPG  
    Nicolas

My problem had nothing to do with my MCx5 configuration but with the Mach3b post processor.

I opened the Mach3B post processor in Notepad and looking at the lines I found this:

max_speed : 2000 #Maximum spindle speed
    min_speed : 320 #Minimum spindle speed

That is why I was getting in my gcode the S2000 all the times. Changed the 2000 to 24000, saved the file, and the problem is now solved, can put any speed up to 24000 when I select my tool and the gcode is correct
    Nicolas