585,743 active members*
5,035 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

DIY Oil Furnace

Last week went to a local metal working club and they had a presentation using a DIY oil furnace for backyard casting. They indicated the design had been around for some time but didn't get an further information. Was really simple, visualize 2 freon cans joined with a horizontal pipe. Air was blown in to the first can, fuel (kerosene or used engine oil) was dripped into this air stream using an elevated tank and needle valve. Mixture was blown into the first can which had been preheated much the same as an old blow torch. The mixture then ignited and blew into the second can which held the melting pot. Did a search here and on google but didn't find anything, any ideas?

I have seen pics of these , simple and effective concept with cheap and hot ignition.

If you'll comment on the last post in the gas-prices forum, i'll posta link

High, head over to backyardmetalcasting.com and check out the forums, they have tons of info on Oil burner designs.

Have you done a search for Babington burners?They are easy to build,can burn waste oil,cooking oil,ect.One really nice thing about them is the fact that they don't have an orfice to clog up.I beleive you can download complete plans for one of these burners from Mother Earth News web site.

Search Ebay book's and manuals seller ohjim has the book cant find my copy right this min. but he should have it good luck Kevin

here is an artical on making a Babington burners
    http://www.aipengineering.com/babing...ner_HOWTO.html
    mike,
    when you do things rite,
    people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Appreciate everyones help. Problem with a Babington burner is it requires a pump and the fabrication of a sphere, etc. The one I had seen just had an elevated tank (3-4 ft) with copper tubing going to a needle valve dripping into the furnace.

Had our monthly meeting yesterday and got more information, the one I wanted is a Ursutz Hi Temp Burner. If you do a search, plans were sold for the DIY in the 40-50's. Man had information at meeting but would have to copy and just didn't have the time then. Next month will get all I can and share.

Demonstation was really impressive!!!!

Hey man, i wanna get to this meeting , i will even drive 35 miles .. ( are you near Florida?) ... dang ... well how many people get together in yoru meeting ?

Website for Houston Metal Shop Club:

http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/index.html

Great bunch of guys into machine work, CNC, casting, etc.

i just picked up colin peck's book, you may want to look into it. send him an email, he's pretty friendly and willing to discuss. i believe he also posts on the backyardmetalcasting forum as well.

http://artfulbodger.2ya.com/

-steve