584,817 active members*
5,140 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Vm-20 getting error 449 at startup

Vm-20 getting error 449 at startup

Hello All,
    I just acquired an 1995 VM-20 with the centurion V. The spindle drive comes right up and is showing no faults on its screen. The 3 axis drives have no leds lit as if they are off?

I have 308vdc at the big blue cap and all the fuses check ok.
    There is 24vdc between #12 and #22.
    I checked power supply and the voltages are correct going into the boards.
    Any suggestions of what to check next?
    It has the glentek sma 8215 drives in it.

Thanks Seth

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

A 449 error is usually an Axis Drive fault. The drives send an error signal from the J1-11 terminal on each drive to the X axis AMP connector pin 9. The connection jumps from one drive to the next and if any drive faults, that inhibits the others.

Look at the Display-Diagnostics screen to verify that X-in 9 is a 1. You can remove the wire from the J1 connector one axis at a time to determine which axis is causing the problem. (I have some documentation if you need it.)

I think Glentek will repair the drive, or a local repair shop, or maybe you can find a replacement drive on EBAY.

Hey ZZZZ,
    Thank you for the info, I will try to narrow down which drive it is. Any info you are willing to send is greatly appreciated.
    My email is [email protected]

Thanks Seth

Hi you should be getting about 160VDC when measuring across the blue buss caps. more the ~170VDc will cause axis drive faults for "over voltage". Recheck the buss caps. if indeed you have over the ~170VDC check the incomming power from the 220 to 110 transformer. it should be between 110 - 115 VAC check incomming power to the machine and then check the taps on the 220 / 110 transformer and set to then incomming AC voltage.
    If that is Ok, and still getting high DC suspect the bridge rectifier and or caps themselves.

Normal incomming power, 110AC X1.41 = 155VDC RMS
    if indeed you have, 308VDC (RMS at the caps) X.707 = 218VAC in comming to the bridge rectifier

Sportybob

Ok, git some time to look at the machine today.

Sportybob,
    the power supply I have has the 3600mfd, 450vdc cap and 240v fans which from what I can tell the 308vdc should be in ok range.

ZZZZ,
    I tried pulling the fault wires and even with all 3 pulled still nothing. I put them back and pulled the inhibit wire J1-10 and with all three off I get the run led on all drives. I still get the 449 error at the control.
    I also have to jump power to the brake on Z or the Z faults out as it should. I am going to check the relay on the pc-rel-02 board. It is getting 24 volts but not actuating?

Sportybob,
    Forgot to include I did double check the voltages in coming and at taps.
    226v across 3 legs incoming to machine.
    114v out of transformer.

Hi Seth, Ok I went back over the thread and saw that you have the Glentek SMA-8215 AC drives.

From the 8215 manual " Over/under voltage These circuits constantly monitor the amplifier power-supply
    and over temperature: voltages, and the motor and amplifier-heatsink temperatures.
    They will shut down the amplifier in the event of any out-ofspecification
    condition. (The overvoltage protection circuit is set
    to turn on at +250VDC for 120VAC line input and +450VDC for
    240VAC line input.)"

Unless your machine was built for over seas export it should be wired for 120V input.
    can I get the machine serial # and i will check on this.

Sportybob,
    Thanks for the info. The ser# is 4016.
    Hopefully it comes thru but below should be a pic of the tag on cabinet.
    Thanks Seth

Attachment 222048

Emailed milltronics and Mark helped me out with checking out a few things. (Impressive service considering age of the machine).
    Mark got me down to the interface board, so I decided to reseat all the boards and plugs and no more error code and machine homed out and spindle works. I couldn't move the axis' s, but hoping that's me not knowing the control to well.

Will be checking everything else out tomorrow and will let you know how it is.

Thank You, to all who helped out.

Found another plug loose behind the front panel. All works as it should now with machine. Just gotta get new air valves for toolchanger. Air leak runs the compressor.

Thanks again,
    Seth

If your still looking for a new valve let me knoe.
    PM me.
    sportybob