584,854 active members*
4,322 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Tormach Streamliner

Tormach Streamliner.

First post, ever.

As a JFF (just for fun) operator of PCNC 1100 I certainly don’t generate the mountains of chips I see the more proficient operators create. Even so I found the clean up a bit of a chore, to streamline the process I decided to enclose the base.
    Used 2.5mm aluminium, and whilst having a CNC plasma cutter made the job easy, it wasn’t really necessary. Slots in the edge where meant to allow drainage, but were not really needed, the Tormach panels have enough “character” to allow a gap between them for coolant drainage. The slots do trap chips that damage your squeegee, I would leave them out.
    Clean up time has been greatly reduced. A real side benefit has been that the drain basket remains almost chip free. It was intended to put some type of coarse filter medium between the new panels edge and the base. As a temporary measure I laid cloth/paper type disposable towels over the joint and they work extremely well. Keeps chips out of base, sort of filters the fluid and any way oil that drips onto panels seems to soak into towels. The towels get wet of course and next time you use machine they are dry, so that coolant has evaporated, small price to pay. Every so often towels get chucked out.
    Panels have been in use for 6 months and have not noticed any rust or corrosion under them.

Panels don’t rattle.
    I’m sure X stepper power lead feels more comfortable.
    I have Series 3 with tapered sides to base of machine.

Greg

Nice Job!

Good Show!

wow, that is a unique and simple solution to a problem I didn't know existed, but now that I see it, it makes perfect sense...
    now if only someone could do something about all this -5 billion degree weather (slight exaggeration, be its been freaking cold out this winter here...) so I can go out and play with my mill...
    where is that global warming thing they promised us?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeWhatLost View Post
    wow, that is a unique and simple solution to a problem I didn't know existed, but now that I see it, it makes perfect sense...
    now if only someone could do something about all this -5 billion degree weather (slight exaggeration, be its been freaking cold out this winter here...) so I can go out and play with my mill...
    where is that global warming thing they promised us?
    It's now officially called "Climate Change". Seems like the whole Global Warming thing was getting a little shaky (too much cold weather also) and Al had to keep his hand in somehow. The concept has made him a lot of money on the lecture circuit.

By the way the base modifications really look great, keeping the chips out from under the machine is a pain.

nitewatchman

Now that that is settled...

Great idea. The panels I mean, not a comment on the other post topics. But not to miss an opportunity.... while US is freezing Aussies are sweltering.

Nitewatchman,
    You're still looking cool and relaxed.
    Bevin

trade ya...

There's something outside of the United States? More lies.

Quote Originally Posted by bevinp View Post

Nitewatchman,
    You're still looking cool and relaxed.
    Bevin
    Just Chillin' here in the south!

The Tormach base design is pretty bad.
    It should be sealed off and have a coolant drain on both sides.
    It's like the coolant was an after thought on the design.
    I do quite a bit of 304 stainless and those small chips like to flow under the base of the machine, like a mud flow.
    The drain could use some work as well get rid of the lip it hast flow up and over.
    But you have a good start going.

Streamliner Dimensions

Streamliner Construction

A member who liked the look of the “Streamliner” panels asked if I was able to supply a set. Unfortunately I am not in a position to do so. I have attached another set of photos with dimensions added if anyone would like to manufacture their own. I have a reasonable workshop at home and had no trouble making panels.
    For those that would require help, a sheet metal shop would have them nocked up in no time at all.
    Basically four identical panels.

There may be some variation between machines. Check your dimensions.

My machine is 1100 series 3, sloping sides on machine base.
    Machines with different style base may require adjustment to dimensions.

2.5mm aluminium (0.100”)
    Four panels 492mm x 345mm with 25mm flange (19 3/8” x 13 9/16”) (1” flange)
    The other dimensions are marked on panels.
    Cut outs to fit around machine base may best be marked by installing and marking direct from the machine’s base.
    Angle retention bracket is offered up to fitted panels, holding against machine stand flange and marking for holes. Retention brackets holes elongated or drilled oversize to allow for adjustment. Bracket should be tight fit to prevent rattles.

Removing panels to mark dimensions I was amazed as to how clean it was. I am not a heavy user but do generate what seems like buckets of chips at times. Main reason for fitting panels was to ease clean up. The fact that it keeps chip basket clear and hence coolant return to tank flowing is a real bonus.

Way oil does drip onto panels that can be wiped up or allowed to run onto disposable cloth/paper towels laid over panel to splash tray joint.

Routing coolant line in directly from rear of machine would be better than stove- pipe setup I used.

I will post shortly about a set of way oil drip trays for under machine. Really only practical with Streamliner panels fitted.

Hope this will be helpful.

Greg

Attachment 221842Attachment 221844Attachment 221846Attachment 221848Attachment 221850

That's a great idea. Is there any reason not to make each side as a single piece? Or is it too hard to put on the machine as a single piece?

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Plascut View Post
    I have attached another set of photos with dimensions added if anyone would like to manufacture their own. I have a reasonable workshop at home and had no trouble making panels.
    Great idea - thanks for posting the details.

Quote Originally Posted by sdh600 View Post
    That's a great idea. Is there any reason not to make each side as a single piece? Or is it too hard to put on the machine as a single piece?

Steve

Steve

One piece would be O.K. but yes it would be difficult to fit and remove. Not sure there would be much to gain having one-piece panels. Two-piece panels are easy to remove and install and do give you the option to adjust the fit of panels by trimming edge of one or both panels.
    There will undoubtedly be lots of variation in sizes with different machines.

I’m sure there are lots of different ways to fit panels. Hopefully if others chose to fit panels we may see some good ideas.
    Flush polycarbonate/lexon viewing window above drain basket in L/H aft panel might work?

If I was to do it again; no slots in lower edge of panel. Drains O.K. without them.
    Chips get stuck in slots and it chews up your squeegee.

Today I purchased a door mat from hardware store, plastic fibres, and if you know what “miners moss” is, it is very similar to that. Have fitted 50 mm wide strips under lower edge of panels. That should allow coolant to drain and leave chips in splashguards.
    Hopefully it won’t turn to jelly in contact with the coolant.

I was going to fit handles to ease removal of panels but I remove panels so infrequently that I won’t bother. Removed panels yesterday for the first time in months and only found a very small amount of chips.

Greg

Attachment 221982

Thanks Greg. Great write up. This is definitely on my must do list. I think I'll cut some cardboard pieces and see what fits best for me.

Steve

Addendum

Oil trays.

I was going to post this separately but makes more sense to add it to this post.
    Your interest in this maybe determined as to how much you hate way oil in your coolant tank; I detest it! My old bench lathe use to grow an immense amount of black slime, and took a lot of time to clean up. The modern coolant’s seem to have stopped this though.

After experimenting with cookie trays, plastic lids etc, I decided to make drip trays to minimise the amount of way oil that ends up in the coolant tank. The Tormach pillow does seem to do a good job containing the way oil, but keeping it out of the coolant tank would seem to be a better option.

Trays really only viable with Streamliner panels fitted, doesn’t take much to overflow trays.

Fairly basic construction, hook over section in the centre to allow it to be fitted under base. Small tray at front fitted before main trays. Tried to make trays as tall as possible to keep them above coolant level. Size slightly smaller than base to stop coolant drips into tray. These trays will only work with low levels of coolant around base. If you have a very high flow pump, and/or your chip basket is often blocked, coolant will over flow into trays.

While making trays I was thinking of raising base of mill. Two blocks of steel, say 25mm (1”) each thick the same size as stand mounts. Pair under each corner of mill, with sheet metal tray, the size of mill base, located between blocks. This would allow for a deep one piece drip tray to be fitted on new sheet metal shelf and better access under mill to remove chips.

Seems a pity that Tormach didn’t increase the height of mounting blocks on stand by 50mm (2”) to allow better access under machine for clean up and maintenance.

A couple of Tormach “Pillows” under base of machine may do a good job retaining way oil drips.
    These drip trays are fairly difficult to fit, with hindsight, think I would "jack up" whole machine and use a couple of Tormach pillows.

Greg

Attachment 222074Attachment 222076Attachment 222078Attachment 222080Attachment 222082

Greg,
    Is your LH chip guard covering the oil pump? I have an 1100 series 1 and the pump should cause the chip guard to be twice as long (to the left) than your photos show.
    The user manual for Series 3 shows the oil pump to be in the same position as mine. Did you alter the location of yours?
    Bevin

Series 3

Quote Originally Posted by bevinp View Post
    Greg,
    Is your LH chip guard covering the oil pump? I have an 1100 series 1 and the pump should cause the chip guard to be twice as long (to the left) than your photos show.
    The user manual for Series 3 shows the oil pump to be in the same position as mine. Did you alter the location of yours?
    Bevin
    Bevin
    I have a mid 2012 model that came with oil pump located below splash tray on L/H side of stand. Didn't cross my mind about models with oil pump next to machine base. That does complicate panel fitment. I made my panels fairly quickly and they came together without any complications. The simple angle bracket that holds them in place works very well and panels seem to just lock in place, and don't rattle. Making panels longer would complicate it with some form of retention bracket required.
    Your machine would have vertical sides on base not the slopping sides mine has.
    Could you move pump? Shouldn't be that hard, pumps look to be the same type. Mine is mounted with three screws through side of stand.
    My oil pump location is not the easiest to use. I will post about mods I have done to improve this in the next few weeks I hope.
    Sorry for the confusion but dimensions are for Series 3, some reengineering maybe required for other models.

Greg

Greg,
    Sporty idea on the drip trays under the machine base for way oil!
    I do dry machine work while Im learning and mastering skills. A couple trays under the y axis would help contain way oil and make cleanup a little better.
    I have an automatic oiler also, and I can say the machine does not run dry with it on .

Question on pillows under the machine. Could pillows float up and get into y axis screw?
    Anyway great idea on drip pans and streamlined swarf catchers.
    Lane

Page 1 of 2 12