584,802 active members*
4,769 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Circle pockets always under my specs in cad, but using mach circle wizard perfect?

Circle pockets always under my specs in cad, but using mach circle wizard perfect?

Hi Guys, I have a question if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Example:

If I design a 30mm pocket in bobcad and go out on my mach 3 machine and cut it it will be about .15mm smaller than 30mm. I though maybe it was backlash so I went through and checked and tested etc.... and that was not the issue. Finally someone told me to use the circle wizard in mach3 and if that works it is something in the cad/cam. So I did a circle 30mm in mach3 circle wizard and it was perfect. So I guess this means the machine is correct, but what would it be in Bobcad, maybe a setting I am missing?

Thanks so much guys

So I guess this means the machine is correct........................
    That's a pretty big assumption.
    Cut two 30mm pockets in BobCAD, one climb cut and one conventional cut. See if they are the same size., or, program the same circle in BobCAD trhat you did in Mach3, being sure to cut in the same direction. They'll probably be the same.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

If you were brand spanking new to Bobcad, I would say you defined a Side Allowance value but then didn't define a finish tool. The only real possibility that comes to mind is that it might be something in your post processor - maybe you aren't keeping enough decimal points in your G-code. I pulled these parameters from my post processor.

414. Number of decimal places for metric numbers ? 3
    415. Number of decimal places for english numbers? 4
    425. Number of decimal for angles? 2

I'm assuming your Mach 3 option doesn't produce G-code but just runs the operation - sorry I'm not familiar with it? I'd say post your G-code here for a simple circle - I'm going to assume it is going to show that circle path is short by .15 mm. Another possibility is how your setup might be interpreting curves - whether it be arcs or lines.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I did cut the circle the same in bobcad and in mach3 circle wizard, (same direction climb), I am not a master with Bobcad but I know my way around fairly well to use often with mostly no issues.

Also It is not a finish allowances left out

I looked at the Bobcad G code and it is showing the correct movements to make a 30mm circle.

I am wandering if it is a circle or arc setting somewhere like rfenn mentioned?

Thanks so much for the replies

Compensation setting??
    Upload a .bbcd,will have a look.

files

Here is the bbcad file zip and gcode.

Thanks so much for the help

You seem to have a side allowance of 1mm on the finish pass.
    Hood

I do have a side allowance , but I also have a finish cut for that.

What version of BobCAD are you using as I see a 1mm side allowance on your finish pass. I am using V26.
    See screenshot.
    Hood
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ScreenHunter_04 Feb. 05 12.15.jpg  

I'm Am using V25, and Yes I know I have a 1mm side allowance, but it is cut with the finishing pass. So that's not the issue. If you look at the G-code you will see the finish pass operation that cuts the 1mm allowance?

Again the circle is about .15mm smaller than 30mm when you measure after its machined.

Ok that screenshot above is the finish pass, so there is 1mm set there. HOWEVER this is in V26 and I have noticed some files do not import correctly from previous versions so that is likely why it is showing the 1mm allowance in the finish pass.
    Will open in V25 and see.
    Hood

Ok opened in V25 and it looks fine, also produced code with my PP and it ties in with yours and is correct. If you look at the finish it is calling for a rad of 10.238mm so double that and add your cutter dia and you get
    10.238 + 10.238 + 9.525 = 30.001mm dia it should cut.
    So code is not your problem as far as I can see.

Hood

Thanks ,yea Im not sure whats going on. Maybe some arc setting somewhere or something?/ I don't know....., the G code like you said is correct just don't know why using the simple mach3 circle pocket wizard I can get results but when I use my Bobcad Gcode I do not?

Thanks again for the help

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Ok opened in V25 and it looks fine, also produced code with my PP and it ties in with yours and is correct. If you look at the finish it is calling for a rad of 10.238mm so double that and add your cutter dia and you get
    10.238 + 10.238 + 9.525 = 30.001mm dia it should cut.
    So code is not your problem as far as I can see.

Hood

Machs pocket wizard uses R instead of IJ but cant see that being an issue.
    Are you using the same tool number and same feeds and speeds in the wizard as in BobCAD?
    Hood

Yep, same tool, same speeds, same direction and everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Hood View Post
    Machs pocket wizard uses R instead of IJ but cant see that being an issue.
    Are you using the same tool number and same feeds and speeds in the wizard as in BobCAD?
    Hood

Got it, thanks so much for all your help. It was indeed tool deflection. As I had a deeper cut programmed in Bobcad than in the Machwizard.

I feel like a dork..lol Thanks again to all of you

If you buy from un-reputable sellers on E-Bay,,EM will be off dimensional size that much.