585,971 active members*
3,874 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > System variable for spindle tool Fanuc 15m

System variable for spindle tool Fanuc 15m

Hi folks, anyone know the system variable number for the tool currently in spindle on a 15m? Doesn't seem to be in the book.
    Cheers

AFAIK there is nothing in the Fanuc manual which will tell you this, Tool change is usually a function of the PMC (ladder) so it will be how the OEM set it up originally so you would need the machine manual and it may possibly be in there.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Bugger!! Not the answer I was hoping for. I've also been through the Fanuc manual and the manufacturers (Hitachi Seiki HG400) to no avail. Looks like a quick call and severe buttering up of Pollards application engineer.
    Cheers. I'll post back if I find out anything.

M9991 C6.

:cheers: I know on a Kitamura Mill with a fanuc 16M control, you can get the tool number by running the command "M9991C6.". This command will store the active tool number of the tool in the spindle into variable #140.

On most machines, the Fanuc side is using #999 to store it. The machine builder might take it from there and input is elsewhere for there own use, but #999 still is in effect. Al makes a good point though.... some them remove it and place it somewhere else all together instead...

:cheers:
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

I'm still looking at it, application eng tells me there is no system variable for this. I'll update when I have more info

Try this in MDI:

#140=#0(clear any old value in variable #140)
    M9991C6.

Now look at variable #140 in your macro variable page and see if it is set to the tool number in the spindle?

I have never seen this in any documentation. I only found it because I had to modify the ATC macro that came with our 5 axis mill. It was buried, undocumented, inside that macro. Apparently M9991 with different "arguments" recalls internal settings for FANUC controls. The C6. argument, on the Kitamuras, gives variable #140 as the tool number in the spindle. (It seems to always post the results of the inquiry to #140).

:cheers: Tom G

Thanks thogib, I'm at home now, I'll give it a try tomorrow. I've also spoken to one of the Hitachi installation engineers and he has agreed that there is no 'standard' system variable on the 15m control.
    Thanks for the advice

thogib, that's a no go. Hitachi Seiki HG400 will not accept M9991, too many digits. Also tried M991 just in case, but that also alarmed out. Cheers anyway