585,602 active members*
3,553 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Ideas and some questions on building a CNC

Ideas and some questions on building a CNC

I have been reading tons on how to make these things but im sure all of you went through this, it can be mind blowing on the information. Where im trying to get at here and is my main qeustion, where do you guys come up with your builds? I have found some sites that want you to pay for a build plan but i rather not do that because i want to make the machine exactly what i want. Any sites that just give you free plans so i can come up and start adding to my own design? Taking what i like and dont like? Im not finding any plans out there besides the one that want you to pay.

Solsylva CNC Plans~ Home Page is what im looking at, any good things about this place? Personal experience?
    Sorry so many questions any information would help, thank you

You're typically going to spend at least $1000, so $20 for plans should'nt be an issue.

If you want free plans, look for the JGRO or Joe's 2006.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

The cost of most of the plans is trivial, as such you don't have a valid argument in my mind. Think about it, you will spend more on nuts and bolts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokra View Post
    I have been reading tons on how to make these things but im sure all of you went through this, it can be mind blowing on the information. Where im trying to get at here and is my main qeustion, where do you guys come up with your builds?
    Imagination and exposure to lots of machine tools over the years. In fact looking at existing hardware can be very enlightening. At least for me seeing something in operation can lead to one of those ah ha moments a lot faster than reading a dense drawing. Mind you back in the day I did pretty good with my mechanical drawing classes (real pencils and vellum too) but real hardware is a quicker learning path.
    I have found some sites that want you to pay for a build plan but i rather not do that because i want to make the machine exactly what i want.
    Honestly if this is the case you should drop any attempt to source plans and just DIY a set of plans yourself.
    Any sites that just give you free plans so i can come up and start adding to my own design? Taking what i like and dont like? Im not finding any plans out there besides the one that want you to pay.
    Search the net, there are a few out there.
    Solsylva CNC Plans~ Home Page is what im looking at, any good things about this place? Personal experience?
    Sorry so many questions any information would help, thank you
    Questions are no problem here. However I don't see the point in looking for free plans if you have no intention of following the designs completely. Frankly there are so many build threads here that you should get plenty of ideas from which you can build upon. It really comes down to your existing mechanical skills, I just don't see success if you don't have existing skills to leverage.

Now if you have not been around machine tools you may be at a disadvantage in understanding some of the concepts. If the is the case I'd recommend building a machine from a set of plans exactly. Get the machine running and look at it as a learning process. Once you are good with the operation of the machine and how the design comes together you can modify it all you want. Further you will have a machine to build the parts for your mods or new machine.

Any sites that just give you free plans so i can come up and start adding to my own design?
    Start reading every build thread here, and borrow the ideas that you like. That's how everyone learns.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Here is a link to free plans.
    Machine Plans | CNCRouterParts
    CRP has a good reputation.

Thank you everyone for your input and advice, its just a lot of info out there, Im really liking that 2'x4' from Solsylva just to learn with, says 600 give or take to build not including computer or motors or software. Anyone out there done that one?