586,011 active members*
3,991 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 4 123

Thinking of buying a shenhui laser

I am in contact with a Mr. Pascal of shenhuilaser. And think of buying this laser engraver/cutter.

http://en.shenhuilaser.com/ProductShow.asp?ID=197

Trying to find out if anyone knows anything about this company.

I have done a couple searches on the zone without much on these guys.

He has made me a stellar offer (< $2700 with rotary) and has been prompt with replies. I understand support may be non-existent after purchase. I am fine with this. I think I can do just about any maint and repairs if they are needed.

My main concern is getting completely ripped of. Such as wiring the money and getting absolutely nothing in return. His email is a yahoo address and he contacted me through a request I put up on alibaba.com. I have just emailed him and asked for some sort of proof that he is an employee of the company. I also emailed the company, to the email address they have listed on their website and through the whois registry database.

Once I have the warm fuzzy he is legit. I will place the order, probably monday or tuesday.

Does anyone know what kind (if any) import tax I will pay here in the US. I am in Jacksonville, Fl. I ordered $6K worth of product from china once (about 10 years ago) and remember I had to use an agent to get it through customs. Total cost of all that was around $500.

I was also visiting Shenzen, China (in the Navy) once and bought a large museum piece ($2000) from a museum and had it shipped to my door with no customs fee. So I'm not sure what to expect.

Anyone that can share their experiences would be appreciated. Did you pick it up at a port or did they ship direct to your door step. Did you pay an agent to do the paperwork? Has anyone been completely ripped of buying through alibaba?

For the price, it's awesome, but not if I get ripped. I will post my exerience, before and after as much as I can here.

Thanks.

Got the warm fuzzy

The gentleman from shenhui laser has emailed me back. I also confirmed through their official website he is legitimate.

The price was Free on Board to US port. So I'm guessing I will be paying an import tax, which is fine (just economics).

I had another question about steppers. From what I have found, servos are supposed to be more accurate. This system comes with steppers. They list the resolution at < .01mm which seems more than suitable for what I am wanting it for.

Does anyone have an opinion on steppers vs servos with laser systems?

I'm wiring the 30% down tomorrow and will keep posting on here my experience. Including pictures once it arrives.

Import tax and custom broker

Found the US tariff schedule for importing, lasers fall under this section:

http://hts.usitc.gov/Table%2084.xml#8456

Looks like import tax will be 3.5% (2900 * .035 = $66) plus custom broker fee ($???).

I'll have to call some customs brokers tomorrow and get quotes.

Jacksonville, FL definitely has a port, just not sure if the company will ship here, Miami, or where. Waiting on response to that question from the shenhui laser co.

Can anyone chime in on the stepper vs servo question?

Thanks

Servo is better, some chinese manufacturers use cheaper stepper motors and during cutting steps will be visible (practically always).
    Do not forget post here your experience, as many peoples ask about this company but nobody answer You will be first.
    Check forum for import advices - it was few posts and topics here. As I remember will be also harbor fee and BE SURE that equipment have FDA certificate!

Litografa - Thanks, I verified (at your prompting) that it WILL come with FDA cert.

They also sent me a color card to pick colors for the shell.

Unless someone warns me otherwise, I will placing the order in the morning.

The company also checked with their freight company, and they will be able to ship directly to the Port of Jacksonville. Great! The bad, it will take 28 days by sea.

Time to start working on layouts and getting ideas for the next month or so.

And ask about USB - sometimes this is option and you will know about that only when you will have machine.

desktoprouters,

You have probably ordered already... and that's ok as I think you've made a good decision.

As Lito said, servo is better but for a laser it's no big deal either way.

USB is a big advantage but I would expect it is USB anyway.

There should not be any import duty (tax) as it's under the $3k limit for personal exemption, and if you are picking up at the port the fees will be minimal.

FDA cert is required for release, you may want to ask them to fax/e-mail it to you ahead of the dock date. If the crate sits you'll get storage charges.

I am surprised they'll deliver to Jacksonville (via port), but if that's what they said it will save the trucking cost from the West coast. 28 days isn't too bad, except when you're waiting for a new toy to arrive

Zax.

Quote Originally Posted by desktoprouters View Post
    Can anyone chime in on the stepper vs servo question?
    Modern steppers and controllers are pretty much on par with servos for light loads. The laser load on the steppers does not change like a milling machine so it is virtually impossible to lose steps. Once the table is set up flat and running smoothly, you will be fine with steppers. Using servos just adds much more complexity with encoder strips or rotary encoders, tuning the individual motors, acceleration/deceleration ramping and a whole host of other stuff of dubious merit in a low load axis system. Be happy with the steppers and open-loop systems. Dave

Dave, we can speak GENERALLY about stepper and servo, but reality is that on laser which will be supplied to customer could be installed stepper motors made in 2006
    I am not telling about ALL chinese companies, but when some of companies have your money, they start think how make their profit bigger. And one of possible solutions - install cheaper motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Litografa View Post
    And ask about USB - sometimes this is option and you will know about that only when you will have machine.
    Here are some of the specs off the datasheet they sent me.

Laser power - 50W(optional)
    Laser type - Hermetic CO2 glass tube
    Power supply - AC220±10℅50 HZ/AC110±10℅50 HZ
    Working area - 700mmx500mm
    Max move spd - 1500mm/s
    Locating prec - <0.01mm
    Min Character - letter:2x2mm
    Operating temp - 5 -35
    Resolution ratio - 4500dpi
    Control config - DSP
    Data transfer interface USB
    Worktable - Up and down worktable
    System OS - WINDOWS 2000/WINDOWS XP
    Cooling way - Water cooling and protection system
    Compatible s/w - CorelDraw,AutoCAD
    Cut thickness - 0-10mm(depends on different material)
    Color separation - Separation of cutting up to 256 colors
    Sloping engrave - Yes, slope can be designed discretionarily

Zax. Thanks for the heads up on the personal exemption.

I did go ahead and order the machine. I put the 30% down. I owe the rest once they provide me with the bill of laden.

Each wire transfer cost $35. So that adds $70 to the cost. Plus whatever port fees I owe.

They also confirmed it comes with an FDA cert. I will ask them to forward a copy so I have it ready when the boat arrives.

Ad far as stepper vs. servo. I researched a little and decided it was not a major factor given the load. I'm sure I will be more than happy with it as long as the laser turns on.

The sales guy did try to sale me on a spare co2 tube. I declined as I read they deteriorate over time if you don't use them. They warranty the tube that comes with it for 2500 hours. IF I use it 100 hours a month, that's 25 months. It will just suck to not have the machine working if the tube quits on me.

Thanks for all the inputs. I will keep posting updates and answering any other questions as they come.

I wouldn't worry about the spare tube, providing you keep the operating temperature in spec and don't run it at 100% it should deteriorate over time rather than just quit. They usually fail prematurely when the tube fractures as a result of air bubbles or other termperature differentials.

You can order a replacement once you see the tube getting weak.

Zax.

Zax,

I will certainly be overly cautious with the laser. I declined their upgraded chill option. I've heard they are sometimes mearly coils and a fan that don't really do much.

I have already ordered two 100 watt peltier plates and heatsink/fans that I plan on using to keep the water cool. I think one will suffice, I'll just keep the other in case the first does not perform as well as I think it will (or... because it gets hot as in Jax during the summer months.

I also inquired today about having them ship via air. The sales guy quoted me $2200US extra for air deliver. Think I'll be waiting for it to get here by sea.

More to follow I'm sure.

it gets hot as in Jax during the summer months
    The peltier cooler should work ok, are you planning to add it to a radiator with fans too?

I'm in Dallas and had a hard time keeping the water temp down in triple digit temps using the fans and radiator method, so I got a small fridge for $35 off craigslist and set it up like a kegerator - works great!

Is Jax, Jacksonville, FL? Just curious, it's nice to know where other laser heads are hanging out

Zax.

Here are some of the specs off the datasheet they sent me.

Laser power - 50W(optional)
    Laser type - Hermetic CO2 glass tube
    Power supply - AC220±10℅50 HZ/AC110±10℅50 HZ
    Working area - 700mmx500mm
    Max move spd - 1500mm/s
    Locating prec - <0.01mm
    Min Character - letter:2x2mm
    Operating temp - 5 -35
    Resolution ratio - 4500dpi
    Control config - DSP
    Data transfer interface USB
    Worktable - Up and down worktable
    System OS - WINDOWS 2000/WINDOWS XP
    Cooling way - Water cooling and protection system
    Compatible s/w - CorelDraw,AutoCAD
    Cut thickness - 0-10mm(depends on different material)
    Color separation - Separation of cutting up to 256 colors
    Sloping engrave - Yes, slope can be designed discretionarily

Did you notice the 50 Hz line frequency? US standard is 60 Hz. I guess you can try it since most PSUs are dual voltage/frequency. It doesn't make sense to produce individual parts for various regions around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by zax15uk View Post
    Is Jax, Jacksonville, FL? Just curious, it's nice to know where other laser heads are hanging out
    It is Jacksonville, Fl. Stationed here in the Military (Navy). Graduated High School from Plano Senior (North Dallas) back in '95.

Will try the peltier first and see how it works. I have a large heat sink for the peltier to pump the heat out.

Pelteir's I ordered arrive late this week and I'll do some tests with same. Got nothing but time waiting on the engraver to get here.

They sent me the chirgrish manuals for setup and software with lots of pictures. I can say pretty certainly this machine will MORE than suffice for what I want it to do.

As for the 50 HZ. Should be fine. I lived in Japan for years using our 60 hz stuff in their 50hz outlets. Only effected the AC clocks in the house and on the appliances. Eventully it did burn out the TV, however. I'll email the sales guy yet again and ask if I can get it in 60 hz. Good eye!

Where are the laser heads?

It is Jacksonville, Fl. Stationed here in the Military (Navy). Graduated High School from Plano Senior (North Dallas) back in '95.
    Ha, I was just a few miles away in Lewisville, TX, went to LHS and graduated in '83. Man I'm old.

Building my own laser cutter/engraver with a 80w ND:YAG with a fiber head. Look ma! no mirrors to align.

UPDATE: Pictures, ships soon!

Mr. Pascal finally sent me some pictures (attached). And said they had missed the boat last week and it was delayed. Now they can't ship until Monday for some reason or other.

Delays suck, guess I should ask for discount on the balance.

Anyway, it will be on it's way soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC08617.jpg   DSC08629.jpg   DSC08632.jpg   DSC08618.jpg  

Looks solid but put something on honeycomb table :withstupi

Wow, that looks like a lot of machine for $2700. Going to be interested in the quality once it's up and running. I have no experience with lasers but I do have a cnc mill and router. Sooooo, maybe next??????????
    Keep us updated.
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Page 1 of 4 123