585,877 active members*
3,404 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Surfcam > Surfcam 3-Axis Multi-Cut Roughing or Z-rough

Surfcam 3-Axis Multi-Cut Roughing or Z-rough

Hi, I'm an intermediate with Surfcam 6, I own a 5-Axis DMS CNC Router, however questions with just some toolpaths, would like some request or a step by step guide to doing a 3-axis multi cut with views, currently have large parts, but concerned if I use a regular 3 axis z-rough the yoke of my machine will end up crashing into the material since it stays in a stationary position as it goes around the part (cutting epoxy board). I have somewhat a concept of using multi cut to just direct surfaces but need to add that 4/5 Axis touch with views for a lot of work I do. Also, if I can just do a regular 3-axis z rough how do i adjust it so when the yoke of my cnc machine rotates so the large end of the yoke avoids the part(if there were a chance of collision). I've taken surfcam classes, but it was vague, and not as thorough. Yes, there are tutorials but doesn't meet the demand of what i want to know.

Kind Regards, to whomever can give me tips/help.

*Correcting myself*, It's actually 3-axis Cut and 3-axis planar, need help with creating the vectors and views and how to actually a z-rough with either of these toolpaths I have a decent of understanding but baffled, unless someone can help me figure out my yoke situation and use a regular 3-axis z rough but would still require most of my z rough in 5 axis

I worked with DMS Pat and the guys, back when they were Motion Master, anyways...

When you do 3 axis machining on a 5 axis machine, looking down in a 'View' like with the machines head is at a fixed angle to the table but not straight up like a 3 axis machine, it is commonly referred to as 3+2 axis machining. Its not really 5 axis machining but a lot more complex than just 3 axis, 99% of 5 axis machining is done that way.

The way that I typically do this is by creating a 'Construction View' and then going about the machining as though its just a 3 axis program. I currently use SurfCam 6 and its pretty simple. There are many ways to create custom C'Views, points and lines or you can even move around dynamically on the screen and when you are in good position just create it by using 'View Current' then call it zero, zero, zero when asked for a local xyz origin, so it in effect uses the same zero as your parts "World CView' like you never moved the part at all, which you didn't...

Rough material can be created using points and a box or you can create and use surfaces to create the stock model, play with the surface normal vectors until you get it to work properly. Usually toward the inside for material surfaces and towards the outside (or tool side) for part surfaces...

I hope that helps you out, since it appears that you've gotten no other replies...

I have an understanding of it, still a bit troubled, so when i'm creating a new CView, instead of 3 points use Current instead and indicate x,y,z as 0,0,0 which just creates a view of how you're looking at the part. Someone had shown me, but he did it fairly quick and i couldn't grasp all of it right away. I've gotten as far as creating a C-view with the 3 points option place the origin on the part, create a (line/vector) off of the part say 3 inches away then create a right angle for the new origin point and then create a "box that views over the part i want to cut" and create it as a flow surface but ends up getting messed up, line goes a different direction, instead of coming towards me in the c-view Z direction.

The classes i have taken up till now, still have classes but have to inquire their changes, but there were all review of the tutorials that were on their website leaving me with just general and not in depth of what i need to do.

You just need to create a view so that your post processor knows what the normal vectors are in order to align the 4th and 5th axis properly. It doesn't matter how you create the view or which method that you use. You can use whichever method is easier for you, just make sure that your origin is in the correct place, your post processor should then be able to do the machining in the correct orientation and with the known zero location.

If you are local, I can come by your shop and give you some one on one help. I have over 20 years of experience with SurfCam and a variety of different controllers including the Fagor 8050. Your DMS Router probably has a Fagor 8055 on it, which is just an updated version of the slightly older 8050. I worked with Motion Master some years ago Pat's father Leo and his brother Scott owned that company but its basically the same machine with many upgrades

Instant Message or email me if you'd like to set up a one on one session...

[email protected]