585,933 active members*
3,991 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Material Technology > Hard / High Speed Machining > High Speed CMS FOAM 5-axis milling machine

Unhappy High Speed CMS FOAM 5-axis milling machine

Hello;
    this is my first post to this group.
    I have inherited a full 5 axis milling machine from a programmer that
    quit and went else where! He was the only person that programmed
    this machine. We cant find any operators manuals are information on
    the machine.
    My problem is that the operator has never set up a tool for this
    machine and can't figure out how to do it.
    This machine is a 16 tool, CMS machine made in Italy by the ZOGNO
    company. We cut Foam on it. We make castings. The machine has
    a CNC 2401 control. Is thier anybody out there who might be able
    to help me tell the operator how to set up a new tool or i should say
    how to input the information in the machine for a new tool.
    some more machine information: floor space is about 20 ft. by 10 ft.
    I use a 1.000 dia. ball nose end mill. RPM is 20,000. Feed is 400 ipm.
    mat. size is 40 inch dia. X 30 inch long.

Help Please.
    Thanks

fairlane I'm gonna state the obvious that CMS would likely be my first stop. After that if you can find who the machine was purchased through when new, you might find some help there.

You might also contact www.exfactory.com and see if they know of anyone who has one of the machines.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Thank you Mike for the reply

Mike;
    Thank you for the reply. Yes The Obvious! This has been going on for about 6 months now and I though I would try to find some help to resolve it. I
    e-mailed the CMS people in Italy twice and got no reply of any kind. But have
    been told that is normal for the company in Italy. Yes one of our Engineers
    got in touch with the US office for our CMS machine and all they could offer
    was some technical data for the electrical section of the machine and that doesn't help me in any way. I will try the exfactory web site you suggested
    and see if i can find any help there and maybe someone will read this post who has a CMS machine. Its really a sad case when your operators "2 of them" can't set up a new tool. But all they have ever done is run it for 3 years and never had to set up anything. But I know thier going to have to sooner or later.

Thanks Again;
    Eddie

Eddie could you expound on "set up a new tool"? Are you talking about tool offsets for length and diameter, or are you talking about a fixture for holding one of your foam parts?

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

5-axis foam mill

hello Mike;
    I went back and looked at the machine and talked with one of the operator's and where they have to put the tool information in the machine is not on the operator's panel but is on a side control panel that is under the option of HEAD. I was a 5-axis mill man for some years and what it reminds me of is the old fanuc controls that you had to go in the ladder section of the control and tell the machine where or what tool was in what pod.
    I think if the operator could figure out how to input this information he could do the reat at the main control.offsets or anything eles related to a new tool. If i remember right after you put in the information for a new tool you have to shut down the machine and after you bring it up it will show up on the main control. I have added a attachment to this note showing our machine. But we dont have a transfer type table system.

Thanks;
    Eddie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pkb zogno.jpg