585,712 active members*
3,881 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

haas mini mill

I am using a has mini mill for small components for the tool and mold industry , the machine seems ok for the job , my question is I`d really like to see a better finish on my parts coming off . the software I am using is bobcad . I am sure this has been done to death on here but I still like to ask .

Clean the spindle taper and tool shanks.
    Make sure that your end mills are running true in the collet chucks.
    Ensure that your feeds and speeds are appropriate for the material and the finish you are trying to achieve.

You need to be a bit more precise: what is wrong with the finish? On a MiniMill running at top speed and fast feed you will get the 'swirls' mentioned in this thread:http://www.cnczone.com/forums/haas_m..._problems.html
    Not as bad as on the SuperMini but stil there. When you are using CAM the problem can be accentuated sometimes because the program can have short moves and abrupt direction changes. Also when you are using CAM you can get faceting which is dependent on the settings used to generate the CAM output. You need to try and figure out if you have an inherent machine problem, lack of rigidity, or whether it is in the operation of your CAM software or a combination.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

All tooling used before all finish programs are indicated and checked for runout. Explain faceting ,

Make sure your spindles are clean. It is also important to make sure that you are using the right speed to achieve the output that you want.
    For Machinery Relocation, trust only Hanlon & Wright

Faceting occurs when a CAM output approximates a curve by using lots of short straight lines. The user has some control over this by specifying have far a straight line is permitted to deviate from the curve before another line is started. Don't ask me how to do this I don't use CAM I just know how it works in theory.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

If you don't have the high speed option then I'd recommend getting it for mold type stuff . The mini's usually won't reach top feed rates because the read ahead is so short . This causes the mill to have constant mini dwells while the control tries to keep up to the code , the mill can get quite jerky with the short code segments which isn't too cool on a not so rigid machine . In the end you have tools dwelling for fractions of a second on a rocky machine . we had the high speed put on one of the mini's and it's performance was improved dramatically
    On the other hand it could be the coding itself , Bobcad 3d code can be pretty choppy especially if your using equidistant which tends to be all short line segments . Be sure to keep the tolerances tight in bobcad before creating the toolpath , you'll be squeezing more code into the machine but it should help smooth things out
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

You could try:

Tell your CAM to output arcs instead of linear segments (this is the faceting you were asking about)
    Adjust the two parameters in the controller for max edge rounding / finish quality (what are they set to now?)
    Turn on HSM parameter in the controller (you should have 200 hours of free trial HSM to test it out if it hasn't been used up already)

When looking at your G-code for an arc profile, do you see an arc cut followed by a small straight cut, followed by another arc?? In the Bobcad software for contour cutting
    there may be a parameter for "tool blending". Make sure this is turned off. You will know it is off when you see the small straight cuts disappear from the G-code. We have HAAS machines and have trouble with the tool blending parameter. I never use this option. Hope this helps.

thanks for the replies , for some reason I did not get my updates for any new posting . dertsap's reply is exactly what is going on here . I did tighten up the tolerance for my finishing programs . I see there is a function in the post for bobcad for an arc fit tolerance , maybe that will smooth things out ?... tac I bought the machine used i'll give the function a try but my luck is usually not that good , I'm thinking its long gone by now . boog I looked at my bob programs , I do not see any tool blending param .

The machine is ruined. Give it me and I will take care of it for you...

Otherwise. Fit to arc tolerances can be played with to clean it up, sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
    The machine is ruined. Give it me and I will take care of it for you...

Otherwise. Fit to arc tolerances can be played with to clean it up, sometimes.
    it might end up being yours , but I will try that too . thanks for the input

Hello
    Since you own a mini. Can you help to answer my question?

Foruonlyfrom007*04:11 AM Today

I just got a 2005 mini mill. I am new to HAAS. I don't seem to be able to find a mini specific manual. A typical HAAS manual talks about spindle oil and axis grease. I can't find the grease reservoir anywhere on my machine. The question is does a mini have grease reservoir or is it fed by the same boiler? Appreciate any input.

QUOTE=magnum500sw;1435926]I am using a has mini mill for small components for the tool and mold industry , the machine seems ok for the job , my question is I`d really like to see a better finish on my parts coming off . the software I am using is bobcad . I am sure this has been done to death on here but I still like to ask .[/QUOTE]

Re: haas mini mill

There are grease fitting on the spindle , but they are behind the spindle cover. As for axis grease , mine uses waylube. The container for that is on the back of the machine.

[QUOTE=Foruonlyfrom007;2346850]Hello
    Since you own a mini. Can you help to answer my question?

Foruonlyfrom007*04:11 AM Today

I just got a 2005 mini mill. I am new to HAAS. I don't seem to be able to find a mini specific manual. A typical HAAS manual talks about spindle oil and axis grease. I can't find the grease reservoir anywhere on my machine. The question is does a mini have grease reservoir or is it fed by the same boiler? Appreciate any input.

Most are just oil lubricated from the main oil supply on the back of the machine

This is an old thread but here is your reply
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by magnum500sw View Post
    There are grease fitting on the spindle , but they are behind the spindle cover. As for axis grease , mine uses waylube. The container for that is on the back of the machine.
    Do you have a photo of this ??? Haas MiniMill's up to 2008 are only oil lubricated and did not have Grease for there spindle Bearings, Haas do have some machine Spindles that do have Grease for the Spindle Bearings, these Spindles would never be Greased through a grease fitting, you would never Grease Spindle Bearings they have Special Grease, that is added when they are assembled and this is for the life of the spindle Bearings
    Mactec54

Well then why ask a question when you know all the answers ? Call haas and ask the answer man .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well then why ask a question when you know all the answers ? Call haas and ask the answer man .

I did not ask the questions, I gave the correct answers, it helps to know what you are posting about, instead of posting Bs (wedge)
    Mactec54

I never posted bs. Maybe you miss understood . I own these and know them inside and out. There are fittings for grease on the cast where the spindle is . No posted bs arm chair warrior .

I never posted bs. Maybe you miss understood . I own these and know them inside and out. There are fittings for grease on the cast where the spindle is . No posted bs arm chair warrior .

Yes you posted Bs there are no Grease fittings for adding Grease to the Spindle Bearings

I have these machines also and there is no Grease fitting to Grease the Spindle Bearings, first you have to know what you are looking at Haas do not have Grease fittings for any of there Spindles even the Spindles that do have Grease for the Spindle Bearing lubricant
    Mactec54

Page 1 of 2 12