585,715 active members*
3,917 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle motor bearings going out

A frightening intermittent squealing noise started the other day during a run. The temperature in the garage was close to freezing, and I had run the spindle at minimum speed for a few minutes to try to warm it up. I did a little more investigation, and disengaged the spindle drive belt. "Fortunately" the noise continued, leading me to the motor bearings as the source. Knowing that, and being in the middle of a pressing project (replica River Song blaster for my daughter's Gallifrey One convention trip this week) I pressed on. Even after the weather warmed up the sound continues.

But now I need to attend to the problem now that the project is complete.

Has anyone had their spindle motor serviced? I'm open to any experience.

Thanks,

Randy

Wow! That's a weird one! But, AC motors are generally pretty trivial to disassemble, and will almost always have pretty common, standard bearings in them. I'd open it up, see what you've got, and go to any local bearing warehouse, or go to VXB.com, McMaster-Carr, etc. and order good quality replacements. The existing bearings will almost certainly be marked with a standard part number. Probably cost you all of about $20-30 for replacements.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Thank you for the reply, Ray. That is encouraging. On another thread, I read that another guy's "spindle motor bearing" noise was actually the shaft-mounted fan being loose. I'll check that first this weekend before I remove the motor from the head.

Randy

Let us know how it goes, we love pics... I think my upper spindle bearing is starting to show its age. I'm curious if anyone recommends pressing them or heat/cooling the surface to assemble ?

I AM GLAD TO TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO INTRODUCE OURSELVES AS ONE OF THE LEADING SUPPLIERS OF Precision Bearings for CNC and Machine tool ,AND YRT bearings WHICH ARE FROM THE REOWNED MAKE OF Wafangdian Tianjiu Bearings Technology Co.,Ltd.,.

WE ARE IN THIS BUSINESS SINCE LAST FIFTEEN YEARS; IN THIS SPAN OF TIME WE HAVE SUPPLIED PRECISION IN ALMOST ALL THE CONTINENTS OF THE WORLD.

OUR BEARINGS WITH COMMON PRECISION ARE MAINLY MIDDLE / LARGE BALL BEARINGS, ROLLER BEARINGS AND SELF-LUBRICATING JOINT BEARINGS. OUR SL BEARINGS ARE FAVORED BY CUSTOMERS. BESIDES, WE DEVELOP HIGH-PRECISION YRT ROTATED BEARINGS, MACHINE TOOL MAINSHAFT BEARINGS AND MOTOR PRECISION BEARINGS. THE PRECISIONS OF OUR BEARINGS HAVE REACHED LEVELS OF P5, SP, P4 AND UP.

FEATURED BY HIGH PRECISION, LOW NOISE, HIGH ROTARY SPEED, HIGH QUALITY AND LONG SERVICE LIFE, OUR PRODUCTS SAVE USERS’ COST AND SHORTEN PURCHASE TERM. WIDELY APPLIED TO COMMON MACHINE TOOLS, CNC MACHINE TOOLS, LARGE / MIDDLE MOTORS, PRECISION ROLLING MILLS, ETC., OUR PRODUCTS FILLED THE DOMESTIC BLANKS AND CAN SUBSTITUTE IMPORTED PRODUCTS.

THIS IS TO INFORM YOU THAT WE HAVE PRECISION BEARINGS AND OTHER GOOD QUALITY BEARINGS AVAILABLE, CAN SUPPLY FOR YOU WITH BEST QUALITY.

PLEASE SEND US YOUR REQUIREMENTS IF YOU HAVE BEARINGS NEED.

WE CAN SUPPLY OUR BEST PRODUCTS FOR YOU.
    Wafangdian Tianjiu Bearings Technology Co.,Ltd.
    (Wafangdian Heavy Bearings Researching & Manufacturing Co.,Ltd.)
    Brand:WZFB
    Web: 瓦房店天久轴承科技有限公司(原 瓦房店重型轴承研究制造有限公司)
    Tel: 0411-85366785
    Fax: 0411-85366785
    Mobile:+86-15942617721
    E-mail:[email protected]
    Q Q : 178702120

Do our best to give customer best service.