585,925 active members*
3,481 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Handyman cnc retrofit with dmm servos

I have finally started the retrofit i have planned and studied for 10 years. My machine is a handyman mill with bad control and glass scales and steppers. I plan to use dmm servos , mach3 or planet cnc cnc software . I am still researching breakout boards. parallel boards simply do not have enough inputs.I am considering automation technology 3 Axis CNC USB Card Mach3 200KHz. It comes with mach3 addons ,one important is auto tool height. I havent found a real accurate homing sequence yet. I wnated more than 5 inputs for + and - jog all axis, mpg input, estop ,feed hold ,auto tool height sensor, feed rate pot. The decisions seem harder than implementation.

First mod is to put a manual motor on the Knee . I tried a pulley system installed inside knee ,goes down but just slips going up. I am now building a double gear reduction drive hung from knee crank shaft with a reversable garage door opener motor. I will post pics only if it is sucessful.Next is to make a new front cover to allow y servo to be inside knee(originally outside at a 45 deg ). I will also need to make a new thrust bearing holder ,as it was part of the old y axis motor mount.I would like to hear about the best breakout boards with lots of inputs.

Re: Handyman cnc retrofit with dmm servos

i do a bridgeport 412 I retrofit had same issue we use an PCI card which can drive servos much faster and has R485 bus for relays and MPG as well as 4 times 10 Pins for whatever you need.
    i use it for ATC MPG and so on but it is not Mach3 able but i am sure you can find some PCI card also for Mach3 if mach3 is not a must i can share my info with you