584,841 active members*
4,686 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

ATHC new unit

I have Torchmate's newest ATHC unit.
    When I start the cutting process the torch does its thing and starts the cut, as it's cutting the voltage display goes up and down about 4 volts each way, cyclic motion, and of course the torch is going up and down the whole time it is cutting.
    I have a refrigerated dryer, motor guard filter at the plasma and a 10 foot ground rod tied to the machine table.
    Sometimes (very seldom) the torch will really start to oscillate badly up and down and then fowl the tip.
    I'm at my wits end with this problem. Has anyone had this problem occur on their machine that you have solved?
    Thanks in advance.
    Mike

Re: ATHC new unit

I personally call it the sowing machine effect, I have no experience with torchmate newest athc and very little with any of torchmate athc's. However usually this a problem within the tuning of the motion loop used for the torch height. Some manufactures will give you access to this some not. sometimes there are settings to limit the amount the torch will travel, sometimes there are actual PID loop settings (gain, integral, derivative). Most likely what is happening is that during the cut grounding is lost momentarily which will cause voltage to drop very quickly and overcorrection occurs. which will give the torch the "sowing machine effect". This can be a setup issue in the grounding or plasma, most likely it is due to the athc however. did it come with a user manual that you could give a link to?

xjdubber, the manual doesn't have any info as to changing the internal setting of this unit. The troubleshooting and setup info are on Torchmate's website.
    Tech support at Torchmate recommended I remove the ground wires I had from the 10foot ground rod to the machine carriage and to the plasma machine and only have the table
    grounded to the 10 foot rod, I did that and it didn't make any difference, it still a 'sewing machine'. lol.
    Thank you for your post. Maybe I should return the control unit to Torchmate for their evaluation.
    Mike

Two things: 1. Connect your plasma work ground clamp directly to the piece of material you are cutting, 2. Reduce the z axis speed......this is done in the AVHC controller. I can't find my instruction sheet for it at the moment....

Another thing...there are some plasma power sources that will not work well with the AVHC...or so I hear. The output voltage is too unstable and causes oscillation

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by MAS View Post
    xjdubber, the manual doesn't have any info as to changing the internal setting of this unit. The troubleshooting and setup info are on Torchmate's website.
    Tech support at Torchmate recommended I remove the ground wires I had from the 10foot ground rod to the machine carriage and to the plasma machine and only have the table
    grounded to the 10 foot rod, I did that and it didn't make any difference, it still a 'sewing machine'. lol.
    Thank you for your post. Maybe I should return the control unit to Torchmate for their evaluation.
    Mike

Jim, I use a Hypertherm 1650 with the machine torch. My setup used to cut with the voltage steady exactly where I set it.
    Something happened in the last several months that transformed my plasma cutter into a sewing machine.
    I can't figure out what could have changed in my setup, I really didn't change anything to the best of my recollection.
    I don't know if one can modify Torchmate's latest THC Z-axis speed. The 'sewing machine' effect is exactly the same every time
    I cut a part with any tip or thickness of metal. I always clamp the ground to material being cut. The 1650 is a great machine.
    Thanks,
    Mike

There are a few post on Pirate of the AVHC porpoising.
    AVHC porpoising - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum AVHC porpoising - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum