584,817 active members*
4,731 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Haas OTS quick tool broken detect

Hi all,

I had a question about quick broken tool detect, and could not find an answer anywhere. The standard macro call for a broken tool detect is to retract to G28 Z0. and feed all the way from home down, which takes forever. I got in touch with Renishaw US and they provided a quick check for a broken tool. It will retract to Z0. then RAPID down within .1 (start point easily modifiable within the macro) and spins the probe on, pushes a specified amount (definable) and if the probe gets triggered, it's a good tool, if not it will retract back to Z0. and set an alarm. Infinetely faster than the standard tool check.

You may call the broken tool detect within the program with a simple G65 P9613 and may add a H value as well to specify the tolerance for the "push" before probe gets triggered. Attached is the macro call. Download, and re-name to O09613.nc. You must turn off edit lock for 9xxxx progs and upload it to your machine as with any probing or 9xxx (typically manufacturer or other special calls) and then turn edit lock back on so you won't accidentally delete or modify the program.

You absolutely MUST have your tool touched off beforehand for this to work and not make any major modifications to the tool length, as this does NOT re-touch off the tool to the OTS probe, it simply rapids down to where it should be, and pushes down the H amount specified to check for a probe trigger. This does NOT replace proper tool touching off, it simply is a quick tool broken detection system. Please don't make me regret posting this code up. I have found it incredibly helpful and it works brilliantly, and figure others can benefit from it as well.

This is a quick tool check for centerline tools only. Drills, Taps, end mills smaller than .375 (or tools that are smaller than the upper diameter of the platter on the OTS) I am not trying to scare anyone off, as it is safe code, and easily read/modified, however I want to make sure anyone that wants to use it has all the information they need.

******* DISCLAIMER*********

I, nor CNC Zone or it's affiliates, assume NO liability for the use or damages of your machine, loss of revenue, or other bodily harm that would be caused by the use of this code. By downloading and/or installing this code, you agree that you are doing so at your own risk, and assume all liabilities for anything bad that may happen due to use/misuse.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Haas OTS quick tool broken detect

Freaking awesome, thanks for posting this! Saw a few mentions about it around the web, but this made it much simpler, cant believe its as easy as putting G65 P9613 in your main program at the end of a tools section of code.

You are welcome! I am glad it helped you out. I didn’t think anyone ever saw this post!

So I've been using this for awhile now, and have not broken any tools before it, so never noticed. But it doesnt seem like its working. I just broke the same tool twice in a row and the tool check did not catch it. The tool was sheared off clean at the holder face, so it couldnt have been just that it was still contacting the probe in roughly the same height.

Any ideas?

Add logging to file.
    Write timestamp, suitable machine state and details, next op. Ongoing serial nr.
    In all possible positions in the code.
    You can use a subroutine to do so, and just call "logit" every other line.

I've started using this, but it only works correctly in MDI. When testing in a live program, it crashes. The #32 and #33 variables are populated differently between MDI and my program. Would this be because I am using G154 Px range of offsets? Any explanation on the logic behind pulling the difference of #502x and #504x system variables?

I was wondering if the call out line needs to define any other parameters. My original line was "G65 P9023 A24. T4. H0.01", would I need to define any locals or just"G65 P9613 T4. H0.01"

awesome!!!!!!!!!On 1 job that runs about 7000 cycles annually just cut 26 sec. from. THANK YOU.

Does anyone know what’s going on with variable #29? It seems to be used but isn’t ever defined.

I am unable to download file, Could you please email to me?

Quote Originally Posted by Alphamfggroup View Post
    I am unable to download file, Could you please email to me?
    Download works fine for me.

Mark

Downloaded fine and worked perfect at the machine. Very much needed this Thank you.