584,842 active members*
4,164 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Multi-Part Self Adjusting Vise Jaw

Are there any other companies making something similar to this? >
    SolidMax™ Multi Part Holding Workholding Mechanical* Workholding System (Kurt, Chick, Parlec, Bision, Te-Co
    A few years ago I saw a self adjusting jaw system for multiple small parts per vise but it seems like it was a different company than the one above, any ideas?
    2008 Haas VF2D
    OneCNC XR5 Mill Expert

Multi Part vise Jaws

Hi Luke,

I did a search: (hydraulic multi part vise jaw) and found this. Hope it is of some help.

Here is a video and website like to a Multi Part option.
    http://pawsworkholding.com/2012/02/01/paws-workholding-announces-hydraulic-clamping-multi-vise-system/

PAWS Workholding - Hydraulic Multi-Vise System - YouTube

Here is a video and website like to a Hydraulic Multi Part option.
    Hydramax Multi-Part Workholding

I have a Solid Max Jaw for my Kurt D688 Vise and it works well for my application. Your needs may vary. Note: this is a mechanical unit with no seals to leak and has a lifetime guarantee. You can also group multiple plungers together for larger width parts like mine. It would be nice if they offered a larger vise jaw with the plungers further apart to allow more items to be clamped at one time. Maybe even a unit that could span multi vises. I found mine on E-Bay some time back.

Swashplate Tool Production - YouTube

The only sad part is none of them are low cost.

Saw some of your recent posts. You are making some pretty neat parts. Keep us the excellent work.

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

Thanks John, maybe it was the Solidmax jaw I saw years ago, I don't think it was hydraulic.
    2008 Haas VF2D
    OneCNC XR5 Mill Expert

I can't justify the purchase of 3 sets of jaws I wonder if Miteebite would have a solution(?)
    2008 Haas VF2D
    OneCNC XR5 Mill Expert

Miteebite

Hi Luke,

I personally don't own any Miteebite products, but they definitely have a valued use. Maybe others here will be able to give you some input on the product line. I would think others would need to see a drawing or photo of your particular clamping application need before offering any recommendations.

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

I've used a number of Mitee-Bite clamps, most often the Talon Grip and T-Slot kits.
    The Talon Grips have been incredibly valuable in that they're quick and easy to set up, and I've found that they're very effective.

The only thing I did was to kiss cut the top edge of the jaws so they were dead flat. For most applications you probably don't need to do that. I had blanks that were picky.
    The low profile T-Slot kits are great when you need to be able to clamp low on the part and can't have stuff sticking up around the part because of tool clearance or whatever.

Some of the parts here were initially clamped with the Talon Grip..
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	345asmall.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	259.6 KB 
ID:	224632

Hope you can see in the picture what's going on. The five parts hang from a dowel pin and swings against a dowel pin stop on the back of the part. The opposite vise jaw clamps against the face of five parts. Once in a while a part is a few 10ths off and wont clamp down, I found a slip of paper between the part face and vise jaw will secure it but that's a hassle.

For this operation I do a face cut in the Y axis, then the top gets a spot, drill and tap. I'm doing this operation in three vises (15 parts at a time) just looking for a quick solution that wont break the bank.
    2008 Haas VF2D
    OneCNC XR5 Mill Expert