585,712 active members*
4,372 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Vacuum pump size for vacuum hold down jig?

I want to pick up a fast vacuum pump on ebay but I am not sure what one would be the best choice to hold down guitar bodies and small parts. I was going to make my own custom vacuum hold downs using star board 3/4" thick and screw them in place on my spoil board and use index pins for the guitar bodies. I see a lot of the oil less 1/3hp pumps at different prices but I am not sure what spec would be the best for my application any help here would be great.

Thanks

Re: Vacuum pump size for vacuum hold down jig?

I am interested as well. I jist started researching vacuums. Please reply if you find something budget worthy. I will do the same.

Stevos I ended up picking up a used Thomas 2680 pump off of craigslist they also have them on ebay around $100. I built my jig 24" by 36" out of corian . I found a counter shop that had scraps of 1/2" and I machined them with my cnc and they warped but I went ahead and epoxied them together and it leaked so I than had to fix the leaking and now it works fine. I learned about Tooling Board from another friend on line Andy Birko and he suggested this Tooling board HDU as it machines like butter and stays flat so the next jig I make I will be using tooling board. High Density Urethane - Coastal Enterprises - Precision Board Plus HDU. The pump works great and pulls 24 lbs HG. My jig has over 800 1/8" holes I use 1/8" pegboard for my spoil board and use masking tape to seal it to the corian. I cover any holes that are not being used with 1ml plastic . Hope this helps.

Excellnt! I would love to see pics of your setup!

Is this the pump you are referring too? Something like this. That is very affordable if so.

Thomas Vacuum Pump 2680CE50 64 C | eBay

I occasionally do Cub Scout 3x5 plaques and key fobs for my wife wet on a robo. I bought an ac vacuum pump from Harbor Freight. Yeh I know but this one still works. I use an old paint pot as a reserve vacuum chamber and coolant separator. A bleeder valve and gauge to verify vacuum psi. Minus 17 to 21 psi is plenty for my needs. It does more. My plate fits in my vice is aluminum with grooves cut spoke and wheel style and a neoprene hose as the perimeter seal. Quick release air hose connectors and a 1/4 turn valve do the trick. Worst leak ever i recovered a cup of coolant from my tank/separator keeping it away from the pump. All this to do a job for free.

Nice! I just bought 2 pumps off of ebay for $100. Now ill have to go on a fitting and tube hunt

What kind of tubing in fittings are you all using?

I am thinking 1/4" tube with push fit?

Stevo here is a great site with all the info you need to get started..Vacuum Clamping (Vacuum Hold-Down Jig)