584,860 active members*
5,231 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Multicam Machines > multicam 3000 - running cnc without controller

multicam 3000 - running cnc without controller

We have a Muticam 3000 CNC router that we expertise for research and educational projects. As most Muticam products the machine is always busy. Two days ago we had an unforeseen mishap when one of our trainees dropped the CNC handheld controller. There is no display on the KDM-20 controller (see attached pic- keypad.jpg)Attachment 224500.

I opened the controller and the problem seems to be damaged circuitry.
    We contacted our local agents and placed an order for a new controller however there will probably be over two weeks of down time on the machine until we get the new controller.

I have a basic understanding of electronics and I’m persistent to try to make the CNC operate without the controller as we just cannot afford the downtime.

Proposed solution: I discovered that Multicam suit 4 has a keypad emulator. If the keypad emulator works then we would have a temporary fix until we get the replacement controller. I opened the program and it had connection issues(see attached pic- keypad emulator.jpg).Attachment 224502

I then opened motion mechanic program, and I realised that if I restarted the CNC, the motion mechanic dialog box displayed what the keypad controller used to display (starting details of CNC, enabling of motor drives, faults, etc). The dialog box passed all the test except it reported a fault (error A1) which I presume is the controller(see attached pic- motion mechanic.jpg). Attachment 224504

I also assume that the CNC during start-up test identified that the keypad controller was not working and populated an A1 error code. This is probably why the keypad emulator was unable to connect as the CNC identified a keypad error.

I also discovered that I am able to reboot the CNC using motion mechanic/live update(see attached pic- live_update_reboot.jpg).Attachment 224506

This proves that I can control the CNC to a certain extent. If I was able to disable the A1 error then maybe the keypad emulator would work. This probably would involve modifying the CNC start-up test to disable keypad checks. Maybe “ini_selftest” (see attached pic- machine update.jpg).Attachment 224508

Please help, and I hope im moving in the correct direction.

Ugan
    email: [email protected]

the motion mechanic screen you posted shows no errors, not sure if the keypad simulator was actually meant to run the machine. The handheld controllers are pretty sturdy, did you order a cable at the same time?

Re: multicam 3000 - running cnc without controller

Reviving ooold thread for help!

Quote Originally Posted by xjdubber View Post
    The handheld controllers are pretty sturdy...
    Pff, I wish.

Anyone got insight on this? Same situation as @ugan.git as the controller screen wen't dead. I can control the machine out of my memory but would be nice to have visual feedback on things.

Did you get rid of the A1 error ugan?
    Micromechanic
    Turku, Finland

Quote Originally Posted by euro3000 View Post
    Reviving ooold thread for help!

Pff, I wish.

Anyone got insight on this? Same situation as @ugan.git as the controller screen wen't dead. I can control the machine out of my memory but would be nice to have visual feedback on things.

Did you get rid of the A1 error ugan?
    Reviving an old reply to an even older question, but I know this issue keeps coming up and I just stumbled onto the thread.

This error is generally caused by parameter 59 set to something other than 1020. Solve by opening Motion Mechanic (you may need to select Controller/Restart w/ Inits in order to get > sign), type QC, select edit/select all/copy and then paste into notepad just in case you have a typo later and need to reset everything.
    Go back into motion mech, type this exactly
    59 GI .
    and hit enter (it is parameter number <space> GI (get integer)<space>period)
    It will probably read 20. You can also scroll through your QC above or in notepad to see what 59 is set to.

To change this parameter to enable graphics mode, in Motion Mechanic type this exactly
    1020 59 Set_Integer
    and hit enter. Then to double check (mostly ocd) repeat GI)
    59 GI .
    This time it should say 1020
    Next type Cold and hit enter (make sure machine area is clear and z-brake is operative because machine will immediately reboot)
    Open keypad emulator and you should have full remote display and control. 1020 in parameter 59 also allows you to use the graphics functions of the keypads which have a G at they end of the model number on the back. Works well on a windows tablet too, only problem is you lose the mechanical e-stop. I use the emulator with Virtual Desktop and network cameras to run test operations on multicams I repair remotely in VR. Gives me full machine control from anywhere in the world.

You might be able to change parameter 60 to 2 but you might still run into the issue of not having the correct inits and firmware to run the system without the keypad.....

Quote Originally Posted by nephroneis View Post
    Reviving an old reply to an even older question, but I know this issue keeps coming up and I just stumbled onto the thread.

This error is generally caused by parameter 59 set to something other than 1020. Solve by opening Motion Mechanic (you may need to select Controller/Restart w/ Inits in order to get > sign), type QC, select edit/select all/copy and then paste into notepad just in case you have a typo later and need to reset everything.
    Go back into motion mech, type this exactly
    59 GI .
    and hit enter (it is parameter number <space> GI (get integer)<space>period)
    It will probably read 20. You can also scroll through your QC above or in notepad to see what 59 is set to.

To change this parameter to enable graphics mode, in Motion Mechanic type this exactly
    1020 59 Set_Integer
    and hit enter. Then to double check (mostly ocd) repeat GI)
    59 GI .
    This time it should say 1020
    Next type Cold and hit enter (make sure machine area is clear and z-brake is operative because machine will immediately reboot)
    Open keypad emulator and you should have full remote display and control. 1020 in parameter 59 also allows you to use the graphics functions of the keypads which have a G at they end of the model number on the back. Works well on a windows tablet too, only problem is you lose the mechanical e-stop. I use the emulator with Virtual Desktop and network cameras to run test operations on multicams I repair remotely in VR. Gives me full machine control from anywhere in the world.

that keypad emulator doesn't work for the 3000 series. I've been down that path before with multicam service techs and it just ends with disappointment.

i'd dropped these keypads and they're pretty rugged. I HAVE thought i broke it before, but if you open up the controller you'll notice that the board itself may have just unseated itself from the pin connector. Another time, the solder points on the backside of the board where the communication cable connects just needed to be resoldered and I was up&running.