585,996 active members*
4,570 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

servo setup questions for mach 3

I have just recently converted from steppers to servos on my CNC router and have a few questions. for setting up the steps with my steppers it was 200 steps per rev. on my servos I have 250 CPR encoders which I believe it means that their are 1000 steps per revolution or is it 250 steps per revolution? I am also using a 2:1 reduction turning a 5/8" .200 ball screw.

2nd question I am having a hard time getting the home/ limit switch to work. I am trying to have the home and limit switch be the same switch on the three axis. I can get it to hit the limit switch and stop the machine even if I am homing. once limit switch is made how do I reset to get the machine off the off the limit switch. Is there an override of some sort other than turning the machine off and moving it by manually?

thanks in advance.
    Planeflier.

Hey Planeflyer;
    Go to machsupport.com and check out the video tutorials. They are great and answer 90% of the setup questions.
    Re your encoders, they are quad which means X4. So, 1000 (250 X 4) X 5 revs per inch (.2 screws) X 2 (gearing ratio) = 10000 steps per inch!!! Someone correct me on this if I'm off!!!
    Re. limit switch drive, there is a command on the settings screen (I think that's where it is) that turns on the automatic drive off!!! But, it's all in the videos. Mach is great!!!
    billyjack
    cheers mate!!
    :cheers:
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

BillyJack,

Thanks for the information I will check out the mach 3 site.