585,937 active members*
3,999 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > 4th axis onto a Cincinnati Millacron Arrow 500 CNC with Acromatic 2100 control

4th axis onto a Cincinnati Millacron Arrow 500 CNC with Acromatic 2100 control

It looks like I've been volunteered to fit a 4th axis to the machine above, not something I've ever done before, not sure if I can wriggle out of it either!

I've a lot of machine tool experience, and experience of controls, servo drives, programming, retrofits, wiring & mechanical modifications & repairs etc. including design and sizing servo motors & controls etc. just never had to add a 4th axis, and not much experience on Acramatic controls

Still trying to find out a bit more about the machine, the 4th axis etc.

Anyone got any tips perhaps, I know the 1st one I guess, don't do it, but not sure if that one is going to work!!! ;(

Thanks in advance for any help, guidance or advice that anyone can throw my way.

Cheers,

I guess the first thing I would do is find out if the machine has the software/option to even allow you to run an extra axis. We have 6 Cincinnati machines with the A2100 controls and I know that you can purchase options. I would look through the settings of the machine and see if you can find anything in that nature. Also you can call Cincinnati and give them your control # and serial # and find out which options came with the machine and maybe ask how to get it properly hooked up. That will cost you, Cincinnati is an obsolete product so they make you pay up front before they will help you with anything, same goes for calling Siemens.

Re: 4th axis onto a Cincinnati Millacron Arrow 500 CNC with Acromatic 2100 control

Paul,

how did you get on with adding the 4th axis, I'm working on one at the minute but hitting the wall.

Re: 4th axis onto a Cincinnati Millacron Arrow 500 CNC with Acromatic 2100 control

Hello,

Unfortunately the job did not come off, the customer kicked us into touch after we had done all the ground work, and before placing the actual order!

Sorry, I can't help specifically.

cheers for the prompt response anyway.

That's fine I was sat in front of the computer anyway.
    Good luck, there may be others here that can help, if you describe your issues.

It depends if you are looking for an indexing or contouring 4th axis. If you are looking for an indexing then you can use the M70's (M70 to M79 output with cycle complete feedback) option in the control to signal a stand alone 4th axis drive like the Haas indexer. If you are looking for a contouring 4th axis then it needs to be integrated in the control with the software option you can purchase from SIEMENS.

Mike cncmachineservices (dot) com