585,668 active members*
3,917 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hardinge Lathes > CHNC w/ 810 control parameters get corrupted after power off

CHNC w/ 810 control parameters get corrupted after power off

I have a CHNC with a Siemens 810T control that gets corrupted parameters every time I power if off and on again. Because of this issue, I have gotten very proficient at re-commissioning the control, and once done, it works fine until the power is cycled.

The backup battery appears to be recent, and measures 3.64v, so I think its good. Also, the part programs don't appear to get lost, only the NC and PLC commissioning data.

Any thoughts what it could be? Has anyone else ever seen anything like it?

Brian

It may be a memory module going bad or not working correctly. How long are you powered down to loose the data? Re-commissioning is not a lot of fun.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Mike,
    I can commission the control in about 20 minutes now. It loses the data immediately. 5-10 second power down and it's gone.

I'm wondering if it could be a power supply problem. Maybe it is producing noise/spikes that is upsetting the memory during switch off.

Where is the board that contains the memory in question. In the control box, there appears to be 5 large 'cards'. 4 have some cabling plugged in and the 5th has no connection on the rear. Which is it?

Thanks for any help!

Brian

I have attached pics of the memory modules to the best of my knowledge. I can put you in touch with an expert if you end up needing him.

One pic shows the three memory modules in the one board and the other is a single unit from another board, These boards are behind the keyboard of course, and you must remove the cover from inside the machine.

If I were to guess, I would say that it is the single unit in the picture, because it has its own battery to maintain the info. Tadiran Lithium Inorganic Battery # TL-5135, 3.6 volt.

If you want to try it, this is my spare and the battery is still good. I researched once and found the batteries on eBay pretty cheap, but of course you will dump the settings again after soldering it in. No big deal to you, but you might want to try this one first.

The part number on it is: 570 262 9001.01 or 6FX1126-2BA00, depending on the tag.

Let me know what you find out.

Cheers---Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Mike,

That sounds promising. I have the memory board in my hand and I am shopping for a battery as I type this. I'll report back what happens when I get a new one.

Also, I checked for voltage, and the existing battery is almost stone dead, 0.015v is the most I could measure.

Thank you so much for your insight!

Brian

Read someplace that if it goes bad you need to get a replacement for Hardinge because of the programming on it, but you know how those stories go. Like I said, if you have any issues, the one I have here is still good I think. If your battery is that dead, it definitely needs to be replaced. My spare has not been in a control for years and still reads over 3.6v.

Mike

Read someplace that if it goes bad you need to get a replacement for Hardinge because of the programming on it, but you know how those stories go. Like I said, if you have any issues, the one I have here is still good I think. If your battery is that dead, it definitely needs to be replaced. My spare has not been in a control for years and still reads over 3.6v.

Where in the wide world are you located?

Mike

double

Wow, this site is having some posting issues again!

Mike

Mike,

I'm in Tampa, FL.

Given the low charge, I have to believe this battery has been dead for some time, which makes me wonder if it is not the root of my problem, as this machine was working fine 6 months ago. Regardless, its the best lead I have at the moment, so I'm going to follow it.

Brian

Brian,

Sounds good. We are practically neighbors in this world then, as I am in Port St. Lucie, just the opposite side of Florida. If you have a problem, this one I have can be there in just one day.

Have fun and good luck.

Mike

According to Tadiran's website, part number TL-4935 is the current production replacement for TL-5135. I ordered a replacement from Batterymart.com for 17.95 + 2.99 shipping. Now we wait and see what happens when it shows up.

Brian

MACHINE IS FIXED!

I got my battery in from Batterymart.com yesterday. Their site said 10-14 days, but it got here in 3. I desoldered the old battery and soldered in the replacement. Checked that it was getting voltage to the output circuit traces, and installed the memory card. I recommissioned the control again and nervously shut it down afterwards. I pressed the control on key, and the startup delay seemed like an eternity, but after a few seconds, the main relay banged shut, and it powered up normally!

Mike, I cant thank you enough for suggesting that memory card. I had no idea there was another battery in this machine. Given that my old battery was stamped '93, it seems like they last a while.

Thanks again!

Brian

Brian,

You are most welcome. I had many problems with my CHNC 1 when I got it, so had many things apart and ended up buy a spare control out of another machine. Never did me any good, but I did have everything apart and saw that other battery.

They must last a very long time, as my machine is an 87 and I think it still has the original batteries. I'm actually glad to hear that it works so that if mine fails I can replace it with a new/used one and not have to go to Hardinge for programming.

Keep making chips! And, I hope that it keeps running great.

Mike

I have CHNCI with 810T, S/N 4281-S. Does anyone have available commissioning data for this machine? Only data I found so far is for S/N prior to 2839... I do have commissioning data on paper tape, unfortunately no reader. Even if someone has idea where to purchase some low cost tape reader, would be helpful.

My serial number is 2559-s, sorry.

Mike

Mine is 2516-S. In case anyone is searching though, Ill include a copy of my commissioning data. I don't have the loading instructions, but I do have the data files that work with my machine. I have reformatted these to make them uniform, and I have used them successfully as they are attached.

Brian
    Attached Files Attached Files

Here are the instructions:

Mike
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks guys, I found someone with reader that could help me in a week or two. Once I have data I'll post it. I also found one guy that was making tape reader, unfortunately I have no current contact info and he does not seem to be active. Shame, because it looks like very usable device for $180, optical reader where tape is pulled by hand and fed to parallel port. If this does not pan out, I'll try data already posted...