585,690 active members*
4,685 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Help finding information on Sanyo Denki "Step Syn" IBM stepper motor

Help finding information on Sanyo Denki "Step Syn" IBM stepper motor

I have 3 of these steppers. I think these were in old large industrial dot matix printers. I would like to use these on a 2ft x 5ft CNC router, mostly for wood and rarely for aluminum block. I need to know some information on these, mostly the torque. If anyone could help me would be greatly appreciated.

They were manufactured by SANYO DENKI.
    It's name "STEP-SYN"
    Type: 103-820-0241
    IBM P/N: 6838068
    Lot No. 8502
    Made in Japan

4.5V
    1.4A
    6 wires

diameter: 3 3/8"
    length: 2 1/2"
    Weight: kinda heavy
    Shaft diameter: 3/8"

To best of "my" ability, I did try to google it, but only to find some other people trying to find the information of these steppers. I tried to called IBM, but I got forwarded back and forth between departments, neither of them knew who to contact. Anyway, now I will try here for some help as well.

If I am unable to find the info I am looking for, and decide to give them a try in my future DIY cnc router, how would I know if the motors will be strong enough or weak?

I am guessing if it's weak, then would heat on the steppers be good indication or any test I am do to find out? Sorry, but I am a newbie at all these when it comes to these things. Thanks for any help.

I'm not sure what the specs are, but with the measurements you give, I would guess they are about 200 oz/in maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less, but at 1.4 amps they do not have very large windings. I'm guessing they are Nema 34? I would use those motors for your project and if they don't work, just swap them with a motor that has more torque and sell the old ones on the bay.
    If it doesn't work BUY BIGGER MOTORS!!

Any guess is good.

If they are around 200oz, I guess I could add a reduce train belt system of some sorts to boast it up to around 400oz (2:1).

I would gear them down for sure. you will have more accuracy when you cut curves and the motors will be less noisy and cause less vibration. With my setup I am running Nema 34 steppers rated at 770 oz/in. I have them geared down 2:1 and the stepper driver set at 1/5 step. This means for each inch I go the motor makes 16,000 steps. The more steps the better.

What stepper driver and power supply are you planning on using?
    If it doesn't work BUY BIGGER MOTORS!!

I am still in the research and design stage.

But I have my eye on the Candcnc breakout board (plugs into the xylotex drivers):
    http://www.candcnc.com/

And for the 3-axis drivers:
    http://www.xylotex.com/
    Hmm, its bipolar driver, hope this will be ok. Will do some more research this week.
    They also have powersupply, so maybe this from them too.

does anyone know how the old part number system works on Sanyo Denki stepper motors ?

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_9 View Post
    I have 3 of these steppers. I think these were in old large industrial dot matix printers. I would like to use these on a 2ft x 5ft CNC router, mostly for wood and rarely for aluminum block. I need to know some information on these, mostly the torque. If anyone could help me would be greatly appreciated.

They were manufactured by SANYO DENKI.
    It's name "STEP-SYN"
    Type: 103-820-0241
    IBM P/N: 6838068
    Lot No. 8502
    Made in Japan

4.5V
    1.4A
    6 wires

diameter: 3 3/8"
    length: 2 1/2"
    Weight: kinda heavy
    Shaft diameter: 3/8"

To best of "my" ability, I did try to google it, but only to find some other people trying to find the information of these steppers. I tried to called IBM, but I got forwarded back and forth between departments, neither of them knew who to contact. Anyway, now I will try here for some help as well.

If I am unable to find the info I am looking for, and decide to give them a try in my future DIY cnc router, how would I know if the motors will be strong enough or weak?

I am guessing if it's weak, then would heat on the steppers be good indication or any test I am do to find out? Sorry, but I am a newbie at all these when it comes to these things. Thanks for any help.

hi

sorry to bring back a olt thread , how did you go with fining any information on Sanyo Denki stepper motors

does anyone know how the old part number system works on Sanyo Denki stepper motors ???

cheers

Well, the only information other than whats been labelled on them, is that they make good paper weights. That's all so far.

sorry to hear that , all they good for is a paper weight

cheers

lol, I mean I dont know any other info on them and havent tried them yet.

Well I am in the same boat, I found two of these in my basement over the weekend - I bought them years ago as part as a never got past design stage shopbot clone project.
    Mine are mfg. by Fuji Electric, Fuji part # GPF3945-2F, IBM Part # 6838068 ec386577a.
    2 degree step angle, 4.5v dc, 1.4 amp

Well I foud the following info on google groups about fuji steppers in general - and by the way the colors match my motors

I can help you I think. Try this:
    Red= A NOT data bit 8
    Black= common for A windings
    White/Red=A data bit 2

Blue=B NOT data bit 4
    White= common for B windings
    White/Blue=B data bit1
    Tie Black and White together and take to power or ground (as your
    driver circuit delivers) then binary count to 1,2,4,8 to step the motor in single step mode.

Dont quite understand the not data bits but will keep looking....

I hope I did this right, this is my first reply to a thread.
    I don't know if this attachment will offer any help with your motors. It came with some info I received with a stepper world FT3 driver. I think these motors are only 80 inch pound , not sure. I have run them on my first attempted at this CNC thing. Would like to post some pics but I'm not sure what thread to use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SanyoOptions.jpg  

They are unipolar stepper motors

They are unipolar stepper motors.
    They can be driven easily with the allegro unipolar chipsets

They can be wired bipolar by opening the case and adding another wire to split the common wire from the unipolar windings
    See thread http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13793
    The motor in the picture
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/attach...5&d=1131939590
    there is quite similar to what you are working with.