585,880 active members*
7,904 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Alphacam > stl files with Alphacam

Question stl files with Alphacam

Hi all,

I'm using Alphacam 2014 R1 and am having problems with applying tooling to .stl files. I have imported two different models and they both show up in the model space. However, It will not allow me to apply any tooling to the model. I have tried everything to my knowledge and even the different functions in the 'stl utilities' toolbar, but the model is not showing any geometry lines or will not allow me to snap to any of the points. Does anyone have any suggestions or any experience with stl files in Alphacam before?

Thanks,
    Cian

Please attach the file

files attached

sorry, made a mistake in the last post here's the files

Hi - first I don´t like STL files - I prefer Solids.. :-)
    but take a brief look on this video - how to make the organic surface. STL - Camnerd's libraryThe other is a bit tricky - I get back on that..

Polygonal mesh models are not true solid models they are more a type of surface and generally only used for modeling organic sculptural shapes. As you can see Alphacam has no problem applying a 3D machining strategy to a mesh model because this is what they are meant for. It does not really make sense to apply other 2D strategies to them. True solids and vector geometries are the best things to use in CAM software.
    You will need to go back to the CAD software they where made in and convert them to solids, then save them as any of the commonly used solid modeling file types like IGES and input as a solid to Alphacam. Or.. model them as solids to begin with.
    I hope this helps...

Thank you camnerd and headscraper for having a look at the file. I am currently in my last year in furniture college. We use autocad, inventor, solidworks, woodwop and alphacam. Any 3d work I have done before has been imported into alphacam in an IGES file. The reason I am using an stl file is that I am doing a research project on 'SketchUp to CNC'. I have had no problem exporting DXF files and applying tooling in alphacam, but an stl file is the only 3d format I can export from sketchup using a plugin. I have seen your two screen videos and seen you have both got tooling on the surface. I went and tried again today but had no luck with them. The model is in alphacam but it wont let me extract the surface or apply any tooling. Camnerd, I noticed you went to the toolbar and selected and icon (see the attached screenshot) that looked something like determine 3d volume maybe? ? I have turned on all the tool bars and cannot find any icons similar to the one you selected.

could either of you please list the first few steps you take once the model is opened in alphacam?
    thanks,
    Cian

Hi Cianmull

Ok - the Icon you're missing can be turned on - if you go to the "UTILS" - "Bonus Programs" - I think it's called "Calculate 3D-Volume" in Your's

Then the step I use is:

Import the file
    Calculate 3D-Volume
    Move the Part to the correct place
    Calculate Material (also under "Utils" - "Bonus programs" if You don't have it on Your screen)
    Do the Z-contour roughing (if necessary)
    Do the Finish Path - (I prefer to "avoid outside Corners" if I do Parallel Machining)

Hope this help a bit..

Camnerd,

I eventually found the add-ins that were switched off. Once I had enabled them I got the tooling operation on without a problem. I also tried the second 'breadboard' file and it worked also. There was some sort of glitch with the tooling though. I first used the z contour rough in a spiral direction, which was fine and then when i went to put the finishing cut on, the cutter started running random shapes into the work piece. To combat this, I deleted the finishing tool path, copied the original roughing pass, changed to a finer tool and selected for no x, y or z stock to be left. It worked out perfect anyway.

Thanks for all your help and quick response
    Cian

Hi cianmull
    - the second file you sent, is not ok, for this kind of Work.. as headscraper said..
    I'm Not having a lot against Scetchup - but..
    - You should have a proper Solid for this - or take the DXF, and do manual Z-depth on it..