584,879 active members*
5,269 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How slow can a router go?

I have a Bosch 1617EVS variable speed router in my CNC. For what I want to cut, a machinist friend told me I need to get to about 2-3K rpm. (urethane/plastic, about 2.6" deep, 3/8" dia., 4 flute end mill) The Bosch will only go down to 8k, and I am afraid of upping the feed too much. I bought a home made machine, and it's a little more flexible than I had hoped. Part tolerances are not very tight. Is there a simple way to get the rpm down to where I need to be? Or am I in need of a different machine/spindle? Out of work and no $$$ at the moment though.

Thanks for any feedback.

Dave

i would look for a single flute 3/8 cutter on ebay there is a guy drillman he has them lots of guys talk about the bits,,an r u not trying to cut all in a single pass ...what feed rate are u useing.hope that helps

Thanks radicalrescue! I was told to look for a 2 flute, but am having a hard time finding one. Was told high rpm will melt the material. Still futzing with feed rates in different materials. Don't have much good material to waste. I was plunging about 1/8" with a cutter stepover of .09", about 10-20 ipm. May have to up that some. So, no, not all in one pass.

Thanks, I will look up drillman.

hay if u dont find one an u want a 2 flute theirs a guy that sharpens tools down the road i can ask him to cut down a shank to fit the router ..hope u did not take that as being a smart ass on the cut all in one pass...i have not had my set up to long so i am learning i just cut some 1/8 lexan at 30ipm an up to 60ipm with a 2 flute its leaves a little fuzz on the edge ..ill try a 3/8 tomrrow an see what it looks like... was going to try a wd40 mister an see how that works this week

Nope, we're good. I'm a real newbie at this CNC stuff, but have been around machinists for a long time. I'm an out of work Machine Designer. I can't use any mist as my whole machine is made of MDF. All I could afford for now. Max. cut size is about 11" x 11'. Will get something better someday.
    Want to cut a <1" x 1" pocket about 2.7" deep with a rad. of .187". Thus the need to use no bigger than 3/8 mill.
    I looked up drillman1 on ebay. No single flute, 3/8" listed in a useable length. I can find 2 flute ones on MSCdirect and McMaster Carr. Would like to slow the router down, but don't know if that is practical.

You're going to have a hard time finding a long enough tool for that.

Also, 10-20 ipm is way to slow to be cutting plastic with a router. How fast is your machine capable of?

At 8,000 rpm, and a single flute tool, you can probably cut at 60-80ipm with no issues.

The slowest you can spin that router is 5000 rpm, if you spend about $200 on a SuperPID speed control. But honestly, I'd just buy a single flute tool.

If you have to use a 2 flute tool due to the length, then up the feedrate and take shallower passes if rigidity is an issue.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

smaller diameter can be spin faster.. with faster rpm you might can go with higher federate..

I cut pvc around 100 ipm... with 1/4 bit and passes about 4 mm little more than 1/8..

for acrylic 1/8 bit 1250 mm per min federate.. 14000 rpm ... leaves no burr..

slow it down

hay my buddy got a rheostat from harbor fright like 20 bucks 0r so ...it works ,,,the only thing if u run it a real long time it makes the router hot as hall ,the router will not last long if u did it every day but a job or two ...as for mdf that was my first one also,,u know that u could put clear coat ,or varnish on the wood an the wd will not soak in right ..if u can use air it will help two cool well let me know how it works out

victorofga thanks for the info. i am going to try that faster feed ..my vfd is at 400. spindle is a 2.2kw water cooled .well off to the shop thanks for the input..