584,846 active members*
4,231 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Need help creating a correct toolpath

Need help creating a correct toolpath

Hi there. Every time I try to create a rough or finish cycle along the contour of this part, the program skips all the contour passes and just turns the OD. The angle i'm cutting is 30 degrees and I'm using a .031 degree nose radius, so I can't make the finish pass with this tool, but it should still rough it out to the best of its ability, right? pic related, the part i'm making

Are you leaving at least .01 thou on the walls to rough it out?.

Quote Originally Posted by poolrod2 View Post
    Are you leaving at least .01 thou on the walls to rough it out?.
    are you talking about the stock setup or the roughout parameters? yes to roughout parameters, haven't set up the stock

i mean i can make the program run point-to-point but it doesn't cut out an angle like i need it to. please help

plunge turning at least hits the contour, but it's not cutting the direction it ought to. I just want it to cut negatively in one pass per cycle

I'm not a lathe guy, so I'm not used to the tool paths there. A 3 4 or 5 axis mill would be easy for me, you could rough it out leaving .01 thou in the cut parameters on the walls, and 3d contour or flowline the angle.

If you attach the file Ill look at it

your roughing depth cut may be larger than the contour step that is why it is by passing the feature
    If you can ENVISION it I can make it

You need to set the "Plunge Parameters" to allow undercuts, either along the turned diameter, or into a face, or both
    - it is under the "lead in/out" button

At the moment, it is set to assume that the undercut would be done by another operation ( & possibly a different tool shape )

I honestly can not see how you can make this part on the lathe. Forgive my ignorance if I am not seeing what you are trying to do. Shouldn''t you be in a different plane? I always program lathe stuff in G18. Go down to the bottom right and click on planes --> lathe --> D+ Z+ . Then redraw and path your part. The part has to be oriented differenly. Sorry can't help more right now.

Quote Originally Posted by utengineer04 View Post
    I honestly can not see how you can make this part on the lathe. Forgive my ignorance if I am not seeing what you are trying to do. Shouldn''t you be in a different plane? I always program lathe stuff in G18. Go down to the bottom right and click on planes --> lathe --> D+ Z+ . Then redraw and path your part. The part has to be oriented differenly. Sorry can't help more right now.
    Yes, G18 is a NC code command, usually output by the post processor. The post can have the ability to use TOP & still output turning code

He has already got a path on the screen, by using a 35° tool
    -- his problem is..... the roughing op is not putting paths in the wide groove on the outer diameter

As I said, he has to alter his "plunge parameters" for that particular op