585,727 active members*
4,236 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > 3 phase stepper upgrade for Series 1 PCNC 1100----Not possible?

3 phase stepper upgrade for Series 1 PCNC 1100----Not possible?

I called Tormach today about replacing the old white steppers my series 1 has with the new 3 phase Leadshine system. I was told I would first have to install the new VFD or it wouldnt work correctly.

I was also told the Series 1 actually has a VFD but it is incompatible with the new control board. Would I actually run into any problems installing the new drives/ steppers, with the current spindle control system?

Has anyone upgraded their drives/ steppers on a series 1 without first installing the new VFD?

The series 1 VFD is analog. the newer VFD is digital. I assume that the new control board for the polyphase steppers expects to be controlling a digital VFD.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    The series 1 VFD is analog. the newer VFD is digital. I assume that the new control board for the polyphase steppers expects to be controlling a digital VFD.

Phil

Oh im sure thats true, but I'd rather have the improved steppers and 3 phase drivers. There are many fine and cheaper options on ebay for similar VFDs. The issue is that I can only afford one, and I really need the steppers. The spindle speed is still controllable from the front panel I believe.

Im curious as to what makes their particular VFD and interface board different than any of the others.

You weren't very clear in your first post with respect to what you meant by "current spindle control system". As I'm sure you know all versions of the machine have two methods of spindle control.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDonkey View Post
    Oh im sure thats true, but I'd rather have the improved steppers and 3 phase drivers. There are many fine and cheaper options on ebay for similar VFDs. The issue is that I can only afford one, and I really need the steppers. The spindle speed is still controllable from the front panel I believe.

Im curious as to what makes their particular VFD and interface board different than any of the others.

I'm in the same situation, except that I am replacing the Series 1 VFD with one from Automation Direct: it looks to be a drop-in replacement, except less expensive then the Tormach upgrade.

I called Tormach, and the impression that I got was that they were strongly suggesting changing the VFD before the steppers because the Series 1 (poor) spindle performance would limit the benefits of the improved steppers during cutting- it wasn't actually a compatibility issue between any of the components.

Frank

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    I assume that the new control board for the polyphase steppers expects to be controlling a digital VFD.)
    While you are correct about the newer VFD being implemented digitally (i.e. using a microcontroller) the Tormach control board still drives it
    with an analog signal. The newer VFD is a far more robust design than the previous (analog) version and it literally allows 2X the maximum
    metal removal rates as the older VFD. Tormach demonstrated this quite some time ago (see the Tormach web site or YouTube).

Well, I bought one. Killer deal on Ebay for a brand new EMERSON INDUSTRIAL SKBD200150 COMMANDER SK. It doesnt get much better than that.
    Should this interface directly with the current Series 1 board? Also, are the new steppers THAT much better than the old? I also bought a glass scale DRO for the machine so can do an apples to apples comparison between the two. I would also like to close the loop using these linear scales at some point but have yet to find a practical solution barring entirely gutting the internals and electronics.

I'd love to hear about all the upgrades and craziness people have done with their machines to improve capability.

When you do the stepper upgrade, you also replace the control board (a refundable core charge applies). That board will be compatible with your Emerson since it is the same kind they are using. If you talk nicely to them, they might tell you what settings to use for the VFD.

Oh and the stepper upgrade is well worth it. It is much faster and that resonance at 10 ipm is gone.

bob

I have no idea if they still do, but Tormach used to offer just the VFD upgrade on it's own, so obviously it will work with the old steppers. You will probably want to get Tormach to give you the correct settings or spend a lot of time with the manual. IIRC the VFD upgrade might be mandatory for the PDB or ATC as it provides more feedback to the system.