585,557 active members*
3,417 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > SOLIDWORKS TRAINING OR TUTORIAL

SOLIDWORKS TRAINING OR TUTORIAL

Hello guys,
    I am convinced that I need to get away from MASTERCAM for designing and learn SOLIDWORKS, I have seen a local company that offers training but to get the upper level training package it costs north of $6000.00 that seems steep, my question is, can a reasonably intelligent self teach or are there too many aspects to SOLIDWORKS to make this efficient, ? how do most operators spool up? thanks

I would recommend the "basic" training as a minimum, just so you get off on the right foot. It will save much frustration in the long run. Self teaching may work after that point. If you can afford the "advanced" modeling that would be a good investment. I have used "surfacing" very little in the last 14 years, but I don't do many organic type shapes.
    You could also look into: SolidWorks | SolidProfessor
    You won't regret the switch for designing.

Mike

Don't waste your time with training packages for SW. It is so simple. There are dozens of youtube sites for that. It is super intuitive to use. If you can use MasterCAM for your designs you'll have no problems with SW and wonder how you stuck with MasterCAM for so long. You'll also get access to the internal and online tutorials included with your license. Also, a good source of tutorials are the videos posted at the solidworksworld website.

I can hear the resellers knocking on my door telling me to shut up.

I taught myself Solidworks and Mastercam at the same time, with almost no previous knowledge of CAD or CAM software. It does take some effort at first but after you get the basics down, Solidworks is wonderful to work in. And learning new features for it is generally pretty intuitive. I can't say as much for Mastercam. It was easy enough to learn but the interface and the way it does things just feels really dated, especially the CAD side of it. Even after learning how to use it I always felt like I had to fight with the interface to get it to do what I wanted. It is very powerful but I always hated using it.

Then I discovered HSMXpress (the free 2.5D cam software for Solidworks). It is integrated with Solidworks so well that you would think Dassault themselves wrote it. It is fantastic to use, and can make some pretty amazing parts even if it is only 2.5D.

Anyway I would say just dive in. You can always get help or professional training later if you find you need it.

C|

thanks guys for all your input, it sounds encouraging,

Try looking at Free Solidworks Tutorials. There's some good stuff there. You can also join a site like grabcad and look at others' models, or ask questions and/or read tutorials others have posted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk