584,802 active members*
4,926 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Moldmaking > Not owning a machine to moulding parts in 4months?

Not owning a machine to moulding parts in 4months?

Hopefully someone reading this works with injection moulding machines daily and can off load some knowledge.

I brought a 25ton old injection moulding machine impulse but i have been looking for a while. And i have parts i need made that are currently being cnc from stock sheet.

Krauss Maffei Mono-Mat 25
    (image attached)

"This machine has a 27mm screw and 60mm stroke. It should give a shot weight approx. 40gms in ps governed by molding area and wall thickness."-seller

It was cheap i think? $700USD + freight $800USD

Some initial questions. ( more to come)

Aluminium moulds will be used as part runs will be small, sub 1000 /year. Can i buy mould blanks with core pins and bushings pre machined? and just have cavities machined.

Insert moulding dies how do they work where can i get them? i have a few different parts i want to run so maybe this is the best way.

How big a part can i make from a nylon 6 maybe a filled nylon? 2-3in2?

What do i need to look out for when setting up initially?

that will do for now.

thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by charlieslasher View Post
    Hopefully someone reading this works with injection moulding machines daily and can off load some knowledge.

I brought a 25ton old injection moulding machine impulse but i have been looking for a while. And i have parts i need made that are currently being cnc from stock sheet.

Krauss Maffei Mono-Mat 25
    (image attached)

"This machine has a 27mm screw and 60mm stroke. It should give a shot weight approx. 40gms in ps governed by molding area and wall thickness."-seller

I'd ask the seller what the actual ounce size is of the barrel. I'm assuming around 1.5 oz. But it'd be better to know for knowledge

It was cheap i think? $700USD + freight $800USD

Some initial questions. ( more to come)

Aluminium moulds will be used as part runs will be small, sub 1000 /year. Can i buy mould blanks with core pins and bushings pre machined? and just have cavities machined.

You can buy a mold base, which has the leader pins and return pins in them. You have to have core pins made when the cavities are machined.

Insert moulding dies how do they work where can i get them? i have a few different parts i want to run so maybe this is the best way.

If your parts aren't very big, I'd go with a MUD frame from DME. All you have to do is change out the mold (as it's in a frame). Here's a link to what I'm talking about https://na.dmecompany.com/Catalog/Ca...ilId=327&NSM=Y

Here's a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2QDXzuMlHc

How big a part can i make from a nylon 6 maybe a filled nylon? 2-3in2?

It really goes by weight, or cubic inches of material.

What do i need to look out for when setting up initially?

Take it slow and read as much as you can on setting it up and running the parts.

that will do for now.

thanks in advance
    See above. The real issue is, do you want to get into something (money and time wise) that you don't know how to do? There's a lot of learning on how injection molding works, such as packing pressures, post molding part issues, and so fourth. I can help as much as I can for setting up over PM's if you need.
    Mitchell Parker
    Parker Precision Molding, Inc.

Take a look at this site: Proto Labs: Molding and Machining Resources Protolabs has put a lot of effort into demystifying the process of injection molding, going so far as to put out a book: "Injection Molding Part Design for Dummies" It turns out there's a lot to this - who knew?

Andrew Werby
    301 Moved Permanently

Cool i have been checking out mud bases and inserts. And this seems like the easiest way to go.

How about injector pins should i have them machined later by someone with gun drilling capability?

Do injector pins need to be brought pre made are there off the shelf stock options?

Do i need a dryer for nylon 6?
    Options for parts if something is broken? will everything have to be custom built since this is so old.

Re: Not owning a machine to moulding parts in 4months?

Quote Originally Posted by charlieslasher View Post
    Cool i have been checking out mud bases and inserts. And this seems like the easiest way to go.

For sure. Not only do they make it easy, but they're also cheap if you're going with multiple inserts vs buying full blown molds

How about injector pins should i have them machined later by someone with gun drilling capability?

Nah, you don't need anything special to do pins. I usually go 1/64" underside and ream on size.

Do injector pins need to be brought pre made are there off the shelf stock options?
    What do you mean premade? You mean like cut to length? Most pin suppliers can cut down pins to length for extra $$$

Do i need a dryer for nylon 6?
    Yep. You're going to need to dry it. Usually dry my nylons for 2 hours @ 185*F.

Options for parts if something is broken? will everything have to be custom built since this is so old.
    I doubt it'll be easy coming across parts. Best bet is to call KM and find out if they still stock parts for this machine.
    See in red.
    Mitchell Parker
    Parker Precision Molding, Inc.

So I rewired it from 3phase 380v to single phase and vfd on the motor 240v. I can get it to open close screw and heatera to run. But nozel retraction dosnt move? Maybee its fully retracted. Cant get it to run in auto or semi auto. There are switches on the mould carrier that might be my problem. Any one had any experence with old non plc machines. I have full wiring diagrams and hydraulic diagrams but no user manual