584,808 active members*
5,089 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Electronic lead screw (gear box), with Arduino for lathes
Page 1 of 2 12

Electronic lead screw (gear box), with Arduino for lathes

Hey at all,
    the last weeks i work on a small project called ZyklenAutomatik for Arduino (Mega2560). This project starts in the German CNC forum "CNCECKE.de"... The idea is to have a electronic gearbox on a lathe to cut threads , taper, balls... i have designed a small shield for the Arduino to make it easier to handle.

All the components, layout PCB, Software is open source... but we are just at the beginning .
    Functions PCB:
    - Motor A, Step, Dir, En, Status Input ( Z Achse ) Optoc.
    - Motor B, Step, Dir, En, Status Input ( X Achse ) Optoc.
    - Ext. Encoder A,A'/B,B'/Z,Z' (Spindel) Int. Diff. driver
    - 3x I/O + A/B/Z (Spindel)
    - Ext Encoder A,A'/B,B' + 2x Ext. I/O(Handwheel, Encoder X,...) Int. Diff. driver
    - Potential free Output Relay
    - 8 I/Os for Keypad or other functions

KS108 LCD in 70mmx78mm and the connectors on the Top. Like this 128*64 12864 128x64 Character LCD Module Display Screen LCM IC KS0108B #104 | eBay. 2x AM 26LS32 CN for differential signal, and 4x HCPL 2630 optocoupler.

I have make a small video to show the first software parts and the PCB, but i am not the best Programmer and my English is a bit funny . But i think it shows the idea and the way it works.

Working operations starts at 10m30s

ZyklenAutomatik, electronic lead screw with Arduino - YouTube

Here is a test Video with a look at a thread with 1,5mm pitch, 200rpm
    1. Test - YouTube

I hope in the future we can control the X and Z axes, in the video i use only Z for threading, grind and move operations. And i hope it works with the GRBL and G-Code in the future.

For the synchronization we use the Bresenham algorithms and for the stepper operations the AVR446 Lib.

greating Malte

Hello,
    very nice,i like that,is the programming code available ?

Re: Electronic lead screw (gear box), with Arduino for lathes

Hi. I am also interested in where I can get more information about your project, such as the source code and the spindle encoder arrangements. I assume that you also need to generate a synch/registration pulse once for each revolution of the lathe spindle.
    I have just fitted a stepper to the lead screw on my 95 year old lathe and was now going over the possible ways to drive it when I found your post. I like what you have done as it was generally the sort of solution I was considering using an Arduino. I didn't want to have to use a PC and Mach3 (or the Linux equivalent). If the additional information is on the German CNC website then I am in trouble as my German language skills are non existent.
    Would appreciate whatever guidance you can give.

Looks like some software has been posted at https://github.com/themuck/ZyklenAutomatik You will have to parse out the german commentary to determine relevance to the OP.

Phobbz why dont you like the PC Kombination ? You can Look at beaglebone Black doing linuxcnc that might be a solution and Run all from an PC Power supply

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

Hallo, sorry for my late answer.
    there are not many people how are interesting in this project, so i do the most steps by my own. I use Linux CNC with my small lathe to, but the workflow is for a lot of pieces faster with the ZyklenAutomatik, and you have full manual control, i know with Linux CNC this is possible to .

With a high resolution encoder it is possible to make 12mm pitches , but i have to turn the spindle manual.

greatings Malte

sir how to program a adriuno foe electronic lead screw for lathe

Hallo,
    i have make some new PCBs and working on a 3D printable case
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PB298031.jpg   PB298026.jpg  

I like your work. Thank you for sharing!

kreutz

Hi,
    I would like to know where I can get more details or information about the project.
    I cannot register myself at CNCECKE.de - still have problems, also my e-mail address has been blocked.
    Thank you very much for your reply.
    Regards,
    Eduard

Hallo,
    i post more Informations on my website ZyklenAutomatik | MUCK Solutions but only in german.

But i can try to answer your questions here?!

Malte

Hallo Herr Schwelm,
    Ihre webseiten hat mir gefallt.
    Ich interessiere mich hauptsächlich fuer Project ZyklenAutomatik.
    Koennten Sie mir bitte mehrere Info schreiben?Ich verwende EMC2 und jetzt habe ich GRBL,aber nur fuer die drei Achse.
    Ihre PCB in Ihrem Projekt sind sehr präzise.Dann habe ich frage und zwar warum vewenden Sie die Netzstecker RJ 45.Die sieht super aus, aber trotzdem.
    Vielen dank fuer die Info.
    MFG Eduard Bartosek

Hallo Herr Schwelm,
    Koennten Sie mir bitte mehrere Info schreiben?Ich verwende EMC2 und jetzt habe ich GRBL,aber nur fuer die drei Achse.
    Ihre PCB in Ihrem Projekt sind sehr präzise.Dann habe ich frage und zwar warum vewenden Sie die Netzstecker RJ 45.Die sieht super aus, aber trotzdem.
    MFG Eduard Bartosek

Hallo Herr Schwelm,
    MFG Eduard Bartosek

Hallo,
    here is a small video to engage the software clutch in different Speeds and synchronize the spindle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PceI_4jF0kA

the menue is in German, sorry...

I use RJ45 to connect the Stepper driver and Encoder. In the CNCECKE group are more projects that use this "CNCECKE Standard" for connecting.

I have found GRBL for the Arduino Mega, the problem is to adapt the outbut pins to my layout :/. I use not different Ports for direction and step... so i think i have to change more.

Hi,
    When we see a version of b2.02?

sir how to make a Electronic lead screw (gear box), with Arduino for lathes wiring conection menual pls help me.

I'm planning to use this on my Sieg C6 lathe as the multiple gear set up required for threading is starting to be a pain!
    As it's too wet to work in the shed at the moment, I'm going through the source code tonight, relying heavily on Google translate :-)

I'm planning to order a few PC boards in the next day or so and will have some left over should anyone else want to try this project.

I've tracked down most of the parts I'll need, mostly from local suppliers or eBay but the encoder I may need to order from Digikey. That's an additional $35 just for shipping!
    PCBs have been ordered and I'll have plenty of spares should anyone else be interested.
    Next step is to design and build a method to attach the encoder to the spindle. A pair of timing belt pulleys with a 1:1 ratio should do this.

Page 1 of 2 12