584,863 active members*
5,010 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: alarm 175

alarm 175

Hey Guys... I recently purchased a 1994 Haas VF1. This just happened while running some parts. The tool carousel slid forward for the tool change and alarmed out. My back was to the machine and when I turned around it was in alarm. I do not have a tool recovery button on this machine. I tried several things and could not get the carousel back so I pressed E-stop and manually pushed the carousel back into place. Powered up the machine using the POWER UP/ RESTART button and when the carousel went into action it was slow and not performing like normal. Then the machine went into alarm 175.

175 GROUND FAULT DETECTED - A ground fault condition was detected in the 115V AC supply. This can be caused by a short to ground in any of the servo motors, the tool change motors, the fans, or the oil pump.

Anyone one else experience something like this? I took the cover off of the carousel motor compartment and nothing looked wrong or burnt.

Is this a HFO service man call issue?

Any input or comments???

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by teamjnz View Post
    Hey Guys... I recently purchased a 1994 Haas VF1. This just happened while running some parts. The tool carousel slid forward for the tool change and alarmed out. My back was to the machine and when I turned around it was in alarm. I do not have a tool recovery button on this machine. I tried several things and could not get the carousel back so I pressed E-stop and manually pushed the carousel back into place. Powered up the machine using the POWER UP/ RESTART button and when the carousel went into action it was slow and not performing like normal. Then the machine went into alarm 175.

175 GROUND FAULT DETECTED - A ground fault condition was detected in the 115V AC supply. This can be caused by a short to ground in any of the servo motors, the tool change motors, the fans, or the oil pump.

Anyone one else experience something like this? I took the cover off of the carousel motor compartment and nothing looked wrong or burnt.

Is this a HFO service man call issue?

Any input or comments???

Thanks
    Sounds like you have a shuttle motor that is bad. That is the motor that brings the carousel in/out that is exposed and hanging off the back of the carousel. You can try pulling out the motor brushes to inspect for wear and blowing out the carbon dust from inside the motor as a start.

For future refernce, if you need to return the carousel back to its home position after an alarm, go to ZERO RETURN mode then press SINGLE AXIS button. This will return just the carousel to its home position.

Good luck!

Hello haastec. Thanks for offering your help. I called Haas service today and was told to OHM test the to motors associated with the tool changer. They both tested good. I unplugged the motors and OHMed the white and black wires. Both motors OHMed good. I continued looking around and the boards and saw this resister labeled R41 cooked. Could this be the ground fault alarm 175 the machine is giving me? I uploaded 3 pictures. 1 of the board location, one of the entire board and a close up of R41

Quote Originally Posted by teamjnz View Post
    Hello haastec. Thanks for offering your help. I called Haas service today and was told to OHM test the to motors associated with the tool changer. They both tested good. I unplugged the motors and OHMed the white and black wires. Both motors OHMed good. I continued looking around and the boards and saw this resister labeled R41 cooked. Could this be the ground fault alarm 175 the machine is giving me? I uploaded 3 pictures. 1 of the board location, one of the entire board and a close up of R41
    The ground fault definitely caused that resistor to burn up, but there is still an underlying cause for both the alarm and the burned up resistor.
    What resistance did you measure on the motor to determine that they are "good"? How does the cable leading to the shuttle motor look?

At this point, you have to decide if you have the skills to troubleshoot an electrical short problem yourself or call in a tech to help out. You will still have the matter of fixing the I/O board also.

I am going to need to get a better meter. I have an older analog one with a needle, not digital, so it is hard to read the little lines. The cables looked good and not like the were getting hot or burnt. I noticed what looked like a small hole in the shuttle slide electric motor case with some crap entering the hole. I will have to take the motor off and look at this in greater detail. I will add picture once I get it off.

I appreciate the help haastec!

here is an update with the picture of the shuttle motor. After looking at it again looks like the hole is factory notch and not a corrosion hole.

Attachment 226974

Re: alarm 175

I am having the same issue with my '94 VF-2. Replaced the resistor, had a motor repair company check out the motor and gave it a clean bill of health. Re-assembled everything and still get the 175 alarm. What was the root cause of your issue?

Re: alarm 175

there is some info here. (link below) Talk of a FET and some reasons for the Resistor burn up.
    https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...41/index2.html Google search R41 175 and Haas offered a lot of info.

Quote Originally Posted by cncmosh View Post
    I am having the same issue with my '94 VF-2. Replaced the resistor, had a motor repair company check out the motor and gave it a clean bill of health. Re-assembled everything and still get the 175 alarm. What was the root cause of your issue?

Hi teamjnz, I hate to get off topic but this seamed to be the best way to ask you about a past problem you had. ( Feb. of 2014 ) I have just bought a VF1 and like yours it worked fine before I moved it but now that I have it and hooked to my phase converter I am getting a “controller overheat” error message. I saw your thread where this happened to you with your machine but you never posted how you fixed it. Please share and again so sorry for getting off topic.