585,973 active members*
3,850 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Cheap foam for testing a CNC program

Cheap foam for testing a CNC program

Check it out. I got this super dense foam from the fake flowers section in the arts and crafts store. It was $4 for 6 4x8 " blocks. I machined a pattern into it on my x-3 at 30ipm and it cut real nice.
    Good thing to test out on before commiting to metal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RW071792_edited.jpg  

Great idea. Is this the type of foam used to make flower decoration? Not the type that deform when pressing into it with your finger. I have to test this.

I tried some of the "Gentle Grip" flower arranging foam - machines VERY fast - But is fragile and dents easily. Heaps of dust too - so be sure and "mask-up." Available at WallMart.
    If resolution is not a real requirement - the larger cell styro is available at most crafts stores - or laminate the blue wallboard from HD/Lowes for better resolution. You can even build prety good male paterns (to mold from) to make silicone castings .
    Good hints - :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Ya the stuff Im using is soft. I used side pressure with 2x4 lumber to secure it to the table because clamps would crush it. The stuff is very dense and you could take a mold from it if you sealed it first with a water based clear coat or even laytex paint airbrushed on.

When I was checking out at the register I had to yell at the girl ringing it up to be carefull with it when putting in the bag.

For its use and price, I think its just as good as renshape or wax.