584,800 active members*
4,218 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: WINDOWS XP

Question WINDOWS XP

I am running windows xp on my ez router plasma cutter with mach 3, and i have windows xp on the office computer where i make my drawing files and do my interneting. Now that their dropping support for xp do i need to replace both computers or just the one in the office that runs sheetcam? I bought them new 5 years ago. I was hoping the one with mach 3 that ran the table could stay setup as is because it's not hooked to the internet. I remember when I set these up they said to use xp and stay away from windows seven when running sheetcam. Are the newer operating systems ok to run sheetcam? THANKS,,,,,,,CURLY

Just because MS is not supporting XP, doesn't mean the computer will stop working. I run XP on my main machine and plan on doing nothing to it until it dies! I am from the OLD school "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Some people have had sheetcam run on W8 and some haven't. see my previous statment.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

SheetCAM TNG (current version) will run on just about anything (including a version for Linux) There is no compelling reason to panic about running XP. They have not even had a Service Patch in years. It takes a long time to get an OS extremely stable and have reliable 3rd party drivers that are bullet proof. MACH3 will run on WIN 7 if you can find a parallel port driver that works with it I agree with Bubba. I just "upgraded" my main workstation to a hot ticket 8 core PC with 16G of RAM and Windows & 64 bit.... I am still trying to get things to work right after two weeks. I finally gave up and went back to my XP until I can get the applications that I have to have working right.
    TOMcaudle
    www.candcnc.com
    "Engineering Excellence"

Thanks Bubba, just trying to get a feel for what other operators are doing.