584,858 active members*
4,528 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Toolpath Export changing tool length and diameter offsets!!!

Toolpath Export changing tool length and diameter offsets!!!

Hi, i'm trying to figure out why mastercam inconsistantly changes tool length/diameter properties when exporting a toolpath.

I've been burned before when importing a toolpath and not noticing the length was changed to 0, and the mill would crash because h00 is not protect from H&T agreement.

It has been a good habit to search for H00 on the controller to catch anytime mastercam changes the height number.

This morning mastercam changed the tool length offset to 998!!! H998 in the code, and H&T was off due to the type of part

I investigated the tool library and the tool's parameters and the tool number,length, dia were all set to 56
    only when exported, looking in the .operations-5 file i would see the tool numbers changed..

this is inconsistant, and mostly works, but that odd time it changes on you it burns you.

I'm just trying to figure out what is causing it and corrct the problem

Thanks if you have any insight

-Jerome

H0 & D0 are usually read-only offsets, & are set to zero

You need to open the machine definition file, then edit the control ( by just editing the control, does not do permanent changes )
    - look for the "Tools" tab
    there is a setting to add a number to the tool to set the length &/or diameter offset numbers
    ( normal practice is to use T# = H# = D#, so you need to check the "Add to tool" & set zero for both fields )

There is a way to set H & D in the post by making it relative to the Tool number used, so that it ignores the length/diameter fields in the operation. But this would require a post mod.

Re: Toolpath Export changing tool length and diameter offsets!!!

Superman,

This sounds like what I want to accomplish in the post I started about T1 and H2, T2 and H3 etc. So....

How do I open the machine definition file and etc per your post as quoted below?

"You need to open the machine definition file, then edit the control ( by just editing the control, does not do permanent changes )
    - look for the "Tools" tab"

Sorry if this is a super simple question but I just don't know how to do what you are suggesting. I would really like to get to a point where I don't have to scan every NC file I make, correcting offset codes.

Thanks for your help!

Re: Toolpath Export changing tool length and diameter offsets!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2thvet View Post
    Superman,

This sounds like what I want to accomplish in the post I started about T1 and H2, T2 and H3 etc. So....

How do I open the machine definition file and etc per your post as quoted below?

"You need to open the machine definition file, then edit the control ( by just editing the control, does not do permanent changes )
    - look for the "Tools" tab"

Sorry if this is a super simple question but I just don't know how to do what you are suggesting. I would really like to get to a point where I don't have to scan every NC file I make, correcting offset codes.

Thanks for your help!
    The reason you don't know what is going on is you have V9
    definition files, control definition, CNC machines etc are in the X family

What you are only able to do, is modify the post processor