If I've posted this in the wrong place please direct me to where it should be. For what it's worth I've posted a similar thread on the 3dprint forum as well.

I've got a prototype project coming up that needs a plastic or metal part made. I know there are a million options for this but I'm needing a little direction and opinions on those options.

The part is relatively simple. I need a short tube with internal splines. The part itself is only about 3/4" long and the inside diameter is about 3/8" to 1/2"(it's not in my hand at the moment for exact measurement). The outside diameter can be what ever is necessary for the part to be reliable(to a certain point of course). This part will be bonded to another part using epoxy adhesive. The entire thing will be used as a hand crank turning the shaft. With that said needs to have decent strength in the splines.

The quantity needed at this time is minimal a dozen would be great but absolutely need four for the time being.

I thought of making a silicon mold but I'm weary of a liquid casting plastic strength?

The optimal performance would be from a metal part but getting a broach made and pressing the aluminum or whatever metal would far outweigh the cost of the end product. Machining it would not work well since it would have to be split into separate halves.

What do you guys think? If I were to get it 3d printed what is a tough plastic to use? If I went the silicon mold route what products would I need to accomplish that task on my own?

Thanks for any help or insight you can provide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk