584,854 active members*
4,388 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Where to buy high density foam?

Does anyone know good places to get the high density foam used for foam signs, mouldings, etc.?

Thanks!

Warren
    LetterCAM CNC Software
    http://www.LetterCAM.com

have you looked in http://www.mcmaster.com/
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!

www.precisionboard.com

They'll direct you to a distributor.

The stuff mills reall nice.

Gerald

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about---dense slightly-foamed PVC like Sintra---I'd call around the local plastics places. All of them, until I find it or run out of local plastics places.

(That stuff is heavy, and can't be rolled up for shipping, so shipping is expensive. Finding it locally is good.)

My experience is that there are different kinds of plastics supply places and you can't tell which is which from the yellow pages. There are the ones that have $100 minimum orders---I don't know if that's a problem for you---and the ones that don't. The ones that do have a better or more specialized selection, and the ones that don't can often special order from the ones that do.

Oh, and if you're interested in small quantities, check the dumpsters behind the places that have it. There's a place a mile from my house that keeps throwing away big hunks of 1/4" sign foam (up to 2 x 6 or 3 x 4 ft), which I have no use for but hate to see wasted. (If only they'd throw away big hunks of 1/8" acrylic or ABS, I'd be much happier.) That's where I get my random selection of plastics to experiment with.

You might also try sign places, if you're interested in small quantities and nobody local sells small retail quantities. Some of them would be happy to give you their scraps or sell you a sheet at their wholesale cost.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenW View Post
    Does anyone know good places to get the high density foam used for foam signs, mouldings, etc.?

Thanks!

Warren
    Hi,
    search for high density PVC rigid foams from Finolex as well as JAin irrigations,Jalgoan web sites from India. But I doubt they supply small quantities. They may sell container loads.
    Chan Luci, Techie
    www.custompartsonline.com

You can get it in partial sheets from InterState HDU