585,708 active members*
3,893 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Smithy > I just found this site.... Granite 1324 owner

I just found this site.... Granite 1324 owner

Hello to everyone. It does not seem like there is much activity on this forum. I own a Smithy Granite 1324 with the Flashcut CNC controls, and software. I just bought BobCAD/CAM version 20. I have had the 3in1 for about 2 years and I am strickly on a..... when I have the time basis for using it. I took a machinist course at a local votech school about 1 year ago and it was well worth the time. It was a night class and very low key and excellent for a newbie like me. I am currently trying to learn the bobcad software and make it work with my Smithy. I have only had the software for 2 days. I am running flashcut software version 1.4, and I hope that it is all that I will need. I have made a couple of punches, hammer heads, replacement pins for floor jacks, turned wheel barrel axles, milled lawnmower shafts and a couple other projects. Most of all what I like about this metal working stuff is the learning curve. I have never messed with this stuff before a couple of years ago and I am slowly acquiring my shop. I found a 7X10 muffler furnace at an auction for 90 bucks that took 25 bucks to repair so now I can heat treat projects also. As far as the 1324 it has had no modifications or way treatments done to it. What are the main improvements that should be looked at and done on this machine? Thanks for reading this. Greg

Cool

Got any pictures?

Eric

Your improvements need to be prioritized according to your,

a. budget
    b. capabilties
    c. ultimate goals
    d. opportunities as they arrise.
    e. family life and job

The real quandry comes into play when item c conflicts with item a and/or e.

You have to have an ultimate goal out there someplace, no???

If you're putting this hobby thing ahead of item e, your priorities might just be misplaced, unless you're single and then you can pretty much do as you please - to a point.

NC CAMS,
    Well, I have e: under control.

A: always has a small amount set aside for projects.
    B: I believe I can do anything I set my mind too, and besides I have access to some of the most brilliant minds and experience here on this forum!!
    C: I would be willing to try project that would result in the Smithy 1324 ending up being abit more rigid, and accurate. The accuracy as of right now is fine for me but if there is something that can be done to help hold the accuracy over a longer period of time I would be interested in knowing what I need to do.
    D: time, and opportunity..... well, refering to E: I have 8 kids with 6 at home and the youngest starts kindergarden this fall.... the time and opportunity thing is a hit and miss situation.

Like I said in the earlier post I am in the learning curve of the hobby, but I like to learn and do things that could lead to a fun hobby... that is when I am not drinking beer!! :cheers: Thanks again. Greg