586,005 active members*
4,845 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > EdgeCam > edgecam bug in machining text onto surface

edgecam bug in machining text onto surface

the problem i experience with edgecam is machining text onto surfaces.
    when manufacturing i experience the tool runs across text when it is projected onto surface.i get around this by machining inside letters ,skipping a letterand come back to skipped letter on next pass(works some of the time)for sunken text. machining text raised is the major problem (i.e around letters)the tool always runs across the letters.
    any ideas??

"runs across the letters" Means "cuts thru" or "rapids thru" the letters when moving from contour to contour?

So it's not retracting between cuts?

Your cutting out the inside of the letter?
    or on the line of the letter (i.e. not compensating left or right of the actual geometry)?

Your cutting Solids or Surfaces?

What version of Edgecam are you running?
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

i means it does not retract between cuts when 2d text is projected onto a surface.
    i am cutting surfaces, a single contour. running version 6.5
    tested on version 10 but it is still not fixed.mostly when running areaclear around text to clear material to leave text raised.

If you can, I would like to see the file. I've tried to do that same type of machining (clearing an area to leave something standing), and had trouble with it.

Email it to me and I'll give it a try.
    I'll be meeting with some tech guys from Pathtrace next week maybe I can show it them and get an answer for you.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

here is simple example of what i am trying to explain
    attached a .ppf file zipped
    Attached Files Attached Files

Have been playing a bit. As i se it you have to in the "Project toolpath" under "Links" set the "Long links" to "Clearance". That should fix it. There are possibly other ways to do it.

Bent

Hi Sanjayb,
    Setting the long links to clearance wont actually help,what you need to do is
    set your short link distance to .1 at the mo you have it at 10 this means that any link
    move less than 10 is kept on surface or any link move more than 10 is rapid to clearance.
    Regards
    Steve