584,812 active members*
5,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Text Editor

Text Editor

I want to set up Ms office or textpad To compare posted output against a
    master file and check for errors or missing code. For example I want the follow text to be checked similar to spell check.

N1M1
    T1M6S3000
    G0G90G54X0Y0
    G43Z1.H1T2M3
    /M8

I want to check for the correct format as well any missing code,like a missing
    m8 or G54. I can set up a custom dictionary in word but I believe that would only check the spelling.

Thanks
    Mustangsally

I do not think it is possible to create an editor with that degree of smarts

For example, a simple editor cannot know if a G00 or a G01, or a Z movement is incorrectly placed, because it has no method of verifying the original code, nor the changed code.

But, there is a need for the checks to be done as you have indicated. But, the current methods that I know of, consist of cadcam software that uses known "safe sequencing" to produce gcode that already has G00 and G01 correctly placed, every time, and tool change codes that are correctly formatted for use every time.

Things like work offsets are modal, and most often can be safely inserted in what we call "safety lines" near the beginning of the program. Again, a simple editor is not going to know if "G54" is the correct one to be using, or not. But, a properly configured machine post will take care of the actual insertion of a given work offset.

In simple terms, create small macros for use for your start lines, tool change lines, and end program lines, that contain the necessary info that needs to be called every time. Insert those short code sequences into your program and save yourself the nuisance of remembering to do them all the time. They will require some editing, but at least, they will be present in some form, for you to view and edit (or throw an error which stops the machine if it does not recognise a comment in your macro, due to a lack of editing).
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I use Boxer Text Editor as my default editor for all of my NC files. It should have no problem doing what you want. You can download a trial version at their site:

www.text-editor.com

ncplot is free

We do this. Check of syntax G-code.
    www.ncmanager.com.
    On concrete questions will be responsible for [email protected]