585,685 active members*
4,550 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > International / Regional Forums > European Club House > New member - Need some advice on a power supply for a ebay 3040 machine

Unhappy New member - Need some advice on a power supply for a ebay 3040 machine

Hello.

So I bought a cheap 3040 CNC off ebay from china as I am a keen 3D model designer and a keen flight simulator fanatic, so I thought I would start learning how to combine my interests and try some prototype cnc cutting. Nothing to complicated, just some flight sim panels and other stuff.

After 2 months of having the machine and starting to learn the fine art of CNCing, the different types of cuts in Solidworks and HMWorks CAM add in, I set the machine up to cut some MDF and after 2 mins into the cut the spindle stopped. The step motors are still active and working fine and there are no fuses blown on the spindle power board inside the controller box, but no power to the spindle anymore. I have inspected the power board and everything looks fine (no blown capacitors or anything not right visually). Red and green LED light up when the box is powered up, and motors stepping as they should be in MACH3.

So I check the spindle with a voltage meter, just to check there was a circuit in and out of the spindle. I check the spindle feed cable and no broken wire in both channels. The power board is only pushing 2.8V to the spindle pins on the back of the controller when live, not good.

It looks like I need a new power supply for my spindle, as I don't want to take the time to repair the board myself as 1, I don't know where to start and 2, why chance it happening again in the future.

My question is..... What would be the best DC supply to future proof the control setup from failing again? I have researched the spindle and Google tells me it is a 200W DC12V spindle (engraver rather than a router) so I could really do with some advice on upgrading this unit to a decent spindle, power supply and possibly step driver board also.

I have read that the Gecko G540 is a great easy setup that does everything a CNC machine could possible need, but I cant find any retailers here in the UK.

Would this get my machine going again for now?
    48v 8.3a 400w Dc Regulated Switching Led Power Supply CNC with Ce: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Any help appreciated.

Mud.......

Re: New member - Need some advice on a power supply for a ebay 3040 machine

Sorry for your trouble, but I think you can request your supplier from China. I am sure they can supply you a new one for free for I check your machine must be in under warranty