584,812 active members*
5,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma OSP7000L Floppy to USB?

Okuma OSP7000L Floppy to USB?

Hello. We have an Okuma lathe with a OSP7000L control. The control has a floppy drive that the operators use to upload and download their programs to. Has anyone seen a good conversion kit to go from a floppy drive to USB? Thanks.

Yes, there are several, but keep in mind the USB stick will need to be partitioned to 1.44mb i believe, as the OS on the Okuma won't recognize anything else.

Thanks. That shouldn't be a problem as far as the stick goes. I was hoping to be able to cable direct to the PC and transfer text files back and forth. But if it has to be via memory stick, it beats the floppys. Any particular brand you like?

Amazon.com : SFR1M44-U USB Floppy Drive Emulator for Industrial Control Equipment : Computer External Floppy Drives : Computers & Accessories

Heres a floppy to usb emulator , I have no idea it will work but its a very popular internal branded under many names, the 4 circles/light on the front give it away.
    I have not tried it or even know if it works on all pc's let alone an okuma.
    It does state its read only and most of these if not all of the emulators maybe that way.
    The smaller memory sticks would be a better option with these and possibly having to format it the size of a floppy like underthetire said to get it to even see it the drive, would take a little experimenting maybe.

Then why use the floppy/USB ? You have RS232...and you can get RS232 to network adapters, even wireless ones.

That was my first thought...RS232 to USB. The PC is only 6' from the control. It sounds like the better way to go.

there is another thread here about floppy to USB adapters. search for it (or I'll find it a bit later when I have time)
    Serial to USB sometimes does not work on certain machines. Most machines need to see a real serial port.
    if you have RS232 just use that because the cost will be much lower. if your PC does not have a serial port you can buy a plug-in PCI serial port card for a PC (a real serial port) for just a few bucks on ebay or even one for a laptop using PCMCIA slot (old) or Express Card slot (latest).
    I have a card in my PC and an Express Card serial port in my laptop and they work great. you can get transfer software for free on the net.

here is the other thread about USB floppy drives.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/okuma/...version-2.html

Thanks!

Re: Okuma OSP7000L Floppy to USB?

Quote Originally Posted by fishtuna57 View Post
    Thanks!
    hey how do you like your USB emulator? did it really work?
    can you tell me how you load or transfer programs between the USB and controller?