584,837 active members*
5,697 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Tormach 5" CNC Vise or Glacern 5" Standard Vise for PM-30
Page 1 of 3 123

Tormach 5" CNC Vise or Glacern 5" Standard Vise for PM-30

I'm having the hardest time trying to decide on a vise for my new mill. I'm currently using a 4" toolmaker's vise for my X2, and it's a bit too small, and it's a bit of a pain to use too. Plus, it's ridiculously tiny on the huge table.

I've narrowed it down to a 5" vise. A 4" seems a BIT too small (I could be wrong), and a 6" is just too big. There are only a few 5" vises out there, so here are my choices:

Attachment 228406

Tormach 5" CNC Vise

Pros:

-$100 less
    -more compact
    -multiple mounting options

Cons:

-unknown quality (Tormach is good, but I haven't heard much about this vise)
    -no swivel base?

Attachment 228408

Glacern 5" Standard

Pros:

-Glacern seems to be high quality, from what I've read
    -swivel base option

Cons:

-less mounting options
    -pricey
    -bulkier

Thoughts? Does anyone know anything about the Tormach? It looks nice, but there are no specs, and it looks like like all the cheaper chinese ones you can find on eBay for half as much.

Don't know anything about the Tormach vise, but everything I've bought from Glacern has been absolutely first-rate, and I've never heard a single complaint from anyone else. Glacern (an American company) actually grinds their vises themselves, while I'm sure the Tormach is just bought from a Chinese manufacturer and sold by Tormach. A swivel base is a completely useless attachment on a CNC machine.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Yeah, I've heard good things about Glacern, that's for sure. I just don't REALLY want to spend $400 plus shipping, but I guess that's the price of admission when doing CNC...

The Tormach does look awfully similar to the Chinese ones, but if you look closely, the base is completely different and there are a few differences. Plus, I haven't been able to find any 5" version, so the Tormach does seem 'unique', in that there's not an exact duplicate on eBay or anywhere I've seen. Maybe they do have it manufactured special for them?

And yes, in the cons of the Tormach, I put a question mark after swivel base because I doubt I'll ever need it, and I won't be paying the extra money for it either, so meh. But I do like the ability to mount on the side and such. I may not use it a lot, but it would be nice to have as an option.

Does anyone have any experience with the Tormach?

I use the more expensive Tormach 5" vise, which is basically a Kurt clone and it works well for me and appears to be as accurate and well made as my Kurt 3-in and 4-in vises. I believe that this vise is made in the US, which probably explains the $500 cost. It has ears for the hold down studs so is not a solution if the vise needs to be mounted on its side.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    I use the more expensive Tormach 5" vise, which is basically a Kurt clone and it works well for me and appears to be as accurate and well made as my Kurt 3-in and 4-in vises. I believe that this vise is made in the US, which probably explains the $500 cost. It has ears for the hold down studs so is not a solution if the vise needs to be mounted on its side.

Mike
    Ah, OK. Yeah, their other one looks like the same clone that the Glacern is. For the price, I'd just rather get the Glacern. I am still curious about the CNC version though.
    YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/RobertCowanDIY

I find the 4" Shars 440V to be more than adequate for what I do and it fits great on the mill. If you find the pics of a Kurt type 5", there is a huge difference in size on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by luv2ride View Post
    I find the 4" Shars 440V to be more than adequate for what I do and it fits great on the mill. If you find the pics of a Kurt type 5", there is a huge difference in size on the table.
    That's a bummer because Shars stopped selling the 440V (and the 550V it seems too...). What mill do you have? I guess I'm still a little on the fence between the 4" and 5" but I think my table could handle the slightly bigger one.

There are a few if the SHARS 550vs up on eBay right now, I have been thinking about getting that one for a few days now

Quote Originally Posted by AVRnj View Post
    There are a few if the SHARS 550vs up on eBay right now, I have been thinking about getting that one for a few days now
    Yeah, but check the price, it's $435 plus $31 shipping. That's more than the Glacern. If you check the purchase history, people were buying them for $235. They raised the price drastically for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by cowanrg View Post
    Yeah, but check the price, it's $435 plus $31 shipping. That's more than the Glacern. If you check the purchase history, people were buying them for $235. They raised the price drastically for some reason.
    I did not realize they used to be that cheap , I'm sorry I missed that price, would have been worth it.

If that is the case, I will probably go for the Glacern.

You might want to hold off. I just got an email back from Shars.

"This is only that way because they would have to be dropshipped from overseas at that price. They should be in stock in the states at the end of the month and the pricing will go back to normal."

So, they raised the price a ridiculous amount because they're not in stock. Once they come back in stock they'll be roughly $270 shipped. From what I understand, they're quite good and VERY similar to the Glacern. I might just save the money and go with the Shars version. The Glacern is $430 shipped (for me). I'm not sure it's worth the extra $160 for what I'm going to be using it for.

You might want to hold off. I just got an email back from Shars.

"This is only that way because they would have to be dropshipped from overseas at that price. They should be in stock in the states at the end of the month and the pricing will go back to normal."

So, they raised the price a ridiculous amount because they're not in stock. Once they come back in stock they'll be roughly $270 shipped. From what I understand, they're quite good and VERY similar to the Glacern. I might just save the money and go with the Shars version. The Glacern is $430 shipped (for me). I'm not sure it's worth the extra $160 for what I'm going to be using it for.
    Great to know, thanks! I will definitely wait for one of those at that price. I have read good things about their vice's as well, and anything SHARS I have bought I have generally been pleased with.

Re: Tormach 5" CNC Vise or Glacern 5" Standard Vise for PM-30

If there's one thing Enco is good for, is buying a vise - just gotta sign up for their email list and wait for the 20%, free shipping codes. Happens pretty regularly and you can grab a 6" Kurt D688 for a little over $400 shipped.. Like you mentioned, though, a 6" vise is huge on a PM-30 sized mill! I just got a D688 and it is absolutely enormous on my old RF40 table. Looks much better on the RF45 table, though!

Enco also sells Parlec vises which are also Kurt clones (similar to the Glacern, Shars, etc..), pretty well regarded and with the 20% code it's a decent deal as well.

The Shars vises seem pretty good, I've heard mixed reviews from a few people but I think some of those mostly hate them cause they're not made in the US

That's a bummer because Shars stopped selling the 440V (and the 550V it seems too...). What mill do you have? I guess I'm still a little on the fence between the 4" and 5" but I think my table could handle the slightly bigger one.
    I have it on my G0704 (PM25 sized I think). I bought mine on ebay after watching a couple videos of other G0704 guys comparing vises and I think hoss had a video measuring the dimensions. Mine was spot on and I paid like $220 shipped, money well spent I think.

Here is the video showing the vise compared to the spec sheet. Mine was as good as his. I think hoss came to mind because he was comparing 4", 5" and 6" vises for the g0704.

And as a side, Enco just had 20% and free shipping last week!

huh, very good information. I'll wait until they have the 5" and 4" back in stock. There's a huge size difference between the two it seems. I might just have to end up with the 4" instead.

AVRnj, did you get a vise yet?

I have not, I am leaning towards a 5" vice though, pretty much down to either the SHARS or the Glacern. I will see what the SHARS is priced at when it is back in stock.

ah OK. Yeah, they said the end of the month, let's hope they're right.

I'm debating between the 4" and 5" now. Looking at the measurements for the 5", it looks like it might be a bit big on the table.

I'm almost done with modeling the base, saddle, table, and then column. That way I can quickly model the vises and see how they look on the table.

I am not sure if you saw this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw88LSvFoac

but while it looks big on this table, our table has an extra inch, and I think it should be OK. I am afraid that the 4 would be too small, I am curious to see how your modeling comes out.

I hadn't seen that! That's pretty perfect then. I'll go for the 5".

Page 1 of 3 123