586,005 active members*
5,299 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Shielded Cable

Im finishing my control box and now is time for hooking it up to the motors, I looked all day for a decent shielded cable in many shops and I found none, I was offered audio cables or printer type cables, its seems is going to be hard to find decent ones.

I wonder what you guys can suggest if I take the DIY way. I plan to make the motor cables 2 or 3 meters long (7 to 10 feet) and the limit switches cables the same lenght. The drivers are 3A capable and I plan to use them at 2.8A

Thanks in advance

Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by peu
    Im finishing my control box and now is time for hooking it up to the motors, I looked all day for a decent shielded cable in many shops and I found none, I was offered audio cables or printer type cables, its seems is going to be hard to find decent ones.

I wonder what you guys can suggest if I take the DIY way.
    Pable,

I picked up some 6 conductor, 22 AWG, shielded cable from Action-Electronics. It's working great. The lengths I'm using range from 8-12 feet at around 1.5A. What size wire are the leads on the motors your using? Got my connectors there, too.

Just a suggestion,

HayTay
    HayTay

Don't be the one that stands in the way of your success!

Hey Pablo,

Lacking fully shielded cables, I would use the largest and flexible pair of cables I can find for the motors and then one of those printer cables for the limit switches and other low voltage stuff. You can then ground the shield on both ends of the printer cable to help reduce the coupling from the drive noise. If all else fails and you have to use unshielded cables for your sensors, you can add a low pass RC filter to block the frequency of your drives.

BTW, I purchased my shielded 20 AWG cables from this vendor: http://stores.ebay.com/Emtel-Electronics. You might find these locally where they sell Amateur Radio stuff.

JR

PS: hey did you ever make it to Miami?

Eecol electric has that sort of cable and has a bunch of locations in Buenos Aires.
    http://www.eecol.com/

Thanks for the links, I did not tought of amateur radio shops, I called one and they have this kind of cable, but they sell by large spools, will ask for a reseller.

JR: I went there but I was short on time, I hope to return soon

Action Electronics sells by the foot!
    http://www.action-electronics.com/
    www.widgitmaster.com
    It's not what you take away, it's what you are left with that counts!