585,668 active members*
4,367 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Questions About Carving And Engraving Pictures

JUST GOT MY CNC MACHINE DONE AND IM PLAYING AROUND SEEING WHAT ALL THIS WILL DO. WHEN I GO INTO CAM (DESKCNC)AND PULL UP A PIC AND LOAD AND CREATE A WIREFRAME THE PICS ARE NOT AS DETAILLED SO I CAN TELL WHAT I AM LOOKING AT; AND MY QUESTIONS ARE 1. WHAT SHOULD A PIC LOOK LIKE BEFORE I EVEN START? 2. WHAT SHOULD A PIC LOOK LIKE AFTER A WIRE FRAME (I ASSUME THE WIREFRAME IS THE END PRODUCT ON WOOD)? 3. SHOULD I BE USING THE MODIFY PIC AND THEN WHAT SHOULD I BE LOOKING FOR? Thanks very much for any help, Brady

Your pictures, as in the CAM program detail depends on the tool you have selected... I'd suggest something very simple to get started on, some contour milling for example. When you get some experience in the CNC world, the more complex things will be easier to understand.

I presume your talking about carving a photo in DeskCnc?

I usually try to remove the background first in a different program. After loading in DeskCnc click on the carve tab, set the size. I usually carve with a 30 degree engraving bit with a .020" flat. I set the x and y step to about .018 and the depth between .030 and .060". The wireframe doesn't do that good a job of showing the final product. Just do one stain and sand. You'll get the hang of it. Just keep them small for practice ...they take a while to cut.
    Bert

I tried to contour mill around the picture first and then carve the background next, this required a tool change. Up until Carls last software upgrade(June 1) this was something I had problems with. Looking forward to trying it your way...