584,874 active members*
5,100 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Mechanical Calculations/Engineering Design > any standard design to attach end of a tube to a plate & allow tube rotation?

any standard design to attach end of a tube to a plate & allow tube rotation?

I don't want to re-invent the wheel here, literally! There's got to be a standard design to allow a the end of a metal tube steel to be attached to a steel plate such that the tube is allowed to rotate but other than that is fixed in space. If anyone can point me to an existing example, picture or drawing that would be very helpful.

Re: any standard design to attach end of a tube to a plate & allow tube rotation?

I should really give more detail here of what is needed. In my situation, the tube is probably 1" in diameter, is not bearing more than 5 lbs of weight, and is only used to move an adjustment frame a half inch, on an occasional basis in a picture framing application. So it probably won't be turned more than 500 revolutions in its lifespan. I'm looking for the quickest and cheapest way to mechanically tool and assemble the tube into the plate.

Re: any standard design to attach end of a tube to a plate & allow tube rotation?

There are a number of standard approachs depending upon more detailed requirements. If the tube could go through the plate and something else was holding the tube square then drill a hole and put a top hat type retainer on the tube (aka like a child's tricycle retains the back wheels. If you have to keep the tube axially retained, but not too precisely you could put washers and cotter pins on either side of the plate. If you need to attach to plate without going through it you will need a pin of socket on the plate. I'd put a socket on the plate then put the tube into it.To keep the tube from pulling away I'd cut two slots through the socket and a ring on the inner member. Finally a 'hairpin clip could slip over/through socket slots and ride in the tube's grove. That would give axial control to ten's of thousands and provide fairly high pullout retention force. To get to a more precise locating capability and more retention thread the end of the socket externally then put a put an external type c-clip in the tube groove and a capture nut over the c-clip and ont the socket threads. The last approach is mostly applicable to cases where the tube must be precisely axially adjustable in which case the socket, and adjustmenyt sleeve and the locking nut are required.

Tom

Thanks for alot of very practical help to a pretty vague newbie question! (I'm really a software engineer who needs to do a just a little mechanical design to get a part prototype together.)