584,865 active members*
4,981 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Musical Instrument Design and Construction > Converting cloud point data from 3d scan to usable rhino data

Converting cloud point data from 3d scan to usable rhino data

Hey there everyone. I just paid 500$ to have a 3D scan done of my Gibson SG special. The problem is it comes in a mesh or cloud point data and I need to know how to convert it to smooth simple lines and curves in Rhino so I can easily edit it and draw tool paths in Sprutcam. If anyone is able to help me do this I'm will to give you a copy of the 3D scan when I get it later in the week.

Re: Converting cloud point data from 3d scan to usable rhino data

I cannot imagine a reason to 3D scan the guitar. There are too many 3D models available online. Would be easier to modify an existing model to your specs. I say this because I have done several models to various specs for a guy in California. As this is a Gibson, there are basics that will not change.
    I will help you get a working 3D model. Send pics (or post) and I can probably knock this out tonight.

JEST, that would be a huge help. I haven't been able to find any 3d models online, just 2d stuff that were okay. The only 3D models I've been able to find have been on sites that were more art orientated and wouldn't actually have the dimensions for the guitar to play in tune. It was just a gibson sg special I had scanned. Any and all 3D models you have would be greatly appreciated. Even if it's not exact it will be enough to get me going, my email address is [email protected]

D you have this point cloud reduced to a manufacturable model?
    Been doing this too long