585,894 active members*
5,022 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: CNC Mogul

CNC Mogul

So what do we know about CNC Mogul? Anyone have experience with their equipment? Also, where are they located? I would like to see a machine before I commit to buy!

Re: CNC Mogul

Anyone have any feedback??? Nothing as of yet!

There are a few recent threads here if you search.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I purchased a 2x3 CNC Mogul machine in December 2013. As a beginner in CNC, I thought this would be a good way to get started. What a mistake indeed! I had to replaced the controller two times and when the third one died I replaced it with a Gecko540. I upgraded the paltry 24 volt power supply to a 48 volt supply which made the motors come to life. I purchased the gantry upgrade as the flex was horrible. It still flexes but it is better. The drive teeth on the rails are already wearing out and the machine now "skips". Overall considering the frustration and poor materials; it was a bad mistake. "You get what you pay for" is so true; I am now back to square one with this hobby.

Richwr, did your upgrade to gecko with their increased power play a big role in wearing out those gears or was simply something that most moguls will eventually run into. The mogul is not a shopbot or a thermwood but for the price its a lot of bang for the Buck I definitely intend to purchase one in the near future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by clynad View Post
    The mogul is not a shopbot or a thermwood but for the price its a lot of bang for the Buck I definitely intend to purchase one in the near future.

Is it really? Not such a good bang for your buck when it goes bang and then your buck is just gone. Either that, or you end up spending more to make it work than what you would have spent to buy a tried and true machine.

When I first discovered CNC routing I came |-| <-- this close to pulling the trigger on a 4x4 CNC Mogul table. The price was right up my alley, but that little nagging voice said, "why is it 3x cheaper than anything else?" Now that I have purchased a CNC Router Parts 4x4 machine, and have gone back and compared designs, I'm so glad that I didn't waste money on the CNC Mogul.

How much was you build minus computer and software?

I was wondering that myself. What factors make it a lot of bang for the buck??
    If you're just basing it on table size, then you might want to reconsider.
    With all other things being equal, the larger the machine is, the less rigid it will be.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

For my purpose foam and occasionally some polyester body filler. Bigger sheets means less time working those seems. I can look at those rails and see I won't be milling aluminum with a 8hp spindle at oh so amazing speeds, but a trim router and some surf board foam is right up my alley.

Quote Originally Posted by clynad View Post
    How much was you build minus computer and software?

For just the actual machine and NEMA 23 motors/electronics/router/accessories I would have to say it cost me about $7000.00 (Canadian). Keep in mind this was a 'Pro' build, and my goal was to work with various hardwoods and softwoods. The actual tally with the base/bits/vectric software/various accessories is getting close to $11000.

If you're only cutting surf board foam (which I imagine is not very dense), the CNC Mogul may be just fine for you. It's hard to say how well they actually do (or don't) work, as it seems many of the reviews/threads that I found end with "as soon as it arrives, I'll let you know how it works."...... yet they never do. I usually take that to mean it didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by MobiusConcepts View Post
    "as soon as it arrives, I'll let you know how it works."
    That seems to be the usual story in the high-speed digital age, its easy 'sometimes' to find good in-depth review on most products out there but for a few its like finding a needle in a haystack. Extremely unfortunate considering the ease of u-tube and cheap webcams (heck cellphones) to post the results

Based on phone calls and e-mails I get, there is a general reluctance to post negative reviews or bad experiences. I don't know if it is because they are somewhat embarrassed over getting screwed or just the acceptance that at least they got something and it was their fault for not doing more research. I do know that no response is not positive. There are a lot of well meaning vendors that jump into building tables and kits but vastly underestimate the amount of support it takes to the end customer and quickly get overwhelmed and just quit answering e-mails and phone calls. At least once a month I will get a call from someone that starts out like this: " I built a table and it works good and my buddy/neighbor/friend saw it and wants me to build him one....I think I can make some money building these things!!"

Sadly, there are also vendors that don't even have good intentions. In today's world it takes very little to put up a shiny website and start taking orders. They are out to take advantage of the first time buyer that does not know the right things to ask. There is only so much you can glean from a you tube video especially from the vendor. I would say if you are having a hard time getting detailed information on a product, that should throw up a flag. If you can't get a human on the phone to get at least the sales pitch how well do you think you will get support?

remember: Nothing is a good deal if you can't make it work!

TOMcaudle
    www,CandCNC,com