584,837 active members*
5,519 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unable to edit tool.tbl

I tried editing tool.tbl using Axis. I clicked on file and then on Edit Tool Table but nothing happened.

I can't edit it with gedit either.

Re: Unable to edit tool.tbl

What happens when you try to edit the tool table using gedit? Do you get an error message of some type?

In your ini file, do you have a line similar to "TOOL_EDITOR = gedit" in the display section? That should let you edit the tool table from within axis, but if you can't edit the file directly with gedit, I wonder if there is some other issue.

Can you attach your tool table file here?

HTH
    Paul

When I try to edit the file with gedit, it won't let me type in that file. It doesn't give an error message though.

I looked at the ini file and there is no line having to do with an editor.

The guy that was helping me told me to zero out the file, which I did using a Windows editor. It is attached. I renamed the extension to .txt.
    Attached Files Attached Files

It looks like the format of your attachment might not be right (or the first line was added only to show, here, of the contents). I wouldn't use a Windows editor to edit the tool file, but I can't say that would keep the file from being used. My small tool file, which I don't use too much looks like this:

T1 P1 D3.000000 Z+0.000000 ;comment 1
    T2 P2 D4.000000 Z+0.000000 ;comment 2
    T3 P3 D5.000000 Z+0.000000 ;comment 3
    T4 P4 D6.000000 Z+0.000000 ;comment 4
    T5 P5 D6.000000 Z+0.000000 ;comment 5

...No header and I believe the letters are mandatory to let LinuxCNC know what the values are referring to as not all values are required. Now, from the manual, they show the format as:

In general, the new tool table line format is:

• T - tool number, 0-99999 (tool numbers must be unique)
    • P - pocket number, 1-99999 (pocket numbers must be unique)
    • X..W - tool offset on specified axis - floating-point
    • D - tool diameter - floating-point, absolute value
    • I - front angle (lathe only) - floating-point
    • J - back angle (lathe only) - floating-point
    • Q - tool orientation (lathe only) - integer, 0-9
    • ; - beginning of comment or remark - text

See attached two pages from the manual. I would start with a new file originated with gedit and go from there.

HTH
    Paul

The OP's file is a tool table, but it is for an older version of LinuxCNC. That style tool table was used in versions prior to 2.4. What version of LinuxCnc are you using? Might be time to upgrade as many changes have been made since 2.3.

I have 2.5.0, but you want to know something funny?

It started working on its own. The only thing I can figure is that I rebooted Axis, did a home and another zero.

Apparently that file can be edited in Windows without problems.

Maybe an right issue Look at chmod ..

Gesendet von meinem SM-N9005 mit Tapatalk

While in this instance you may have gotten away with it, it's usually not a good idea to edit Unix/Linux files with a Windows based editor. The Windows based editors typically add a CR/LF to each line, and that can mess up a Unix/Linux text file to the point it's unusable. If you do use a Windows editor on a Unix/Linux file, it's usually a good idea to run that file through the dos2unix utility before you use it on the Unix/Linux machine.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by wendtmk View Post
    .... If you do use a Windows editor on a Unix/Linux file, it's usually a good idea to run that file through the dos2unix utility before you use it on the Unix/Linux machine.

Mark
    Another way if transferring the file from Windows to Linux is to use FTP in ACSII mode to "clean" up the file.
    PK

Something else that happened: I had added the tool table editor line to the ini file. The next time I used Axis pulldown to edit the table file, it didn't edit the existing file, it created a new one with the new features.

Does the original file still exist (different name [now]) or did it get wiped and replaced with the newly created tool.tbl file? I think LinuxCNC uses tool.tbl in the config directory unless specified with the TOOL_TABLE = tooltable.tbl entry in the EMCIO section.

On my lathe I have to open the tool table just after starting Axis. I believe before doing a touch off. Anyway if Open Tool Table is the first thing I do, it will stay open after that. I suggest you try it.