585,702 active members*
4,134 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > International / Regional Forums > Australia, New Zealand Club House > Machining aluminium or steel machine parts - Australia (Melbourne)

Machining aluminium or steel machine parts - Australia (Melbourne)

Hi Everyone

I'm new to this site, been following it for a while though.

I'm based in Moorabin, Melbourne.

I'm in the process of designing and building my first desktop CNC wood router approx 500mm x 500mm working area.

I have linear bearings, shafts and ballscrews for the x axis and y axis which i've bought from ebay. However I have no workshop or tools my own.

I was wondering if anyone in the Melbourne area would be interested in machining some of my machine parts from aluminium or know of any affordable local machine shops.

Or if anyone knows of any short college courses (evening or weekends) that allow you to make use of their equipment and expertise for personal projects.

I am also looking into using www.emachineshop.com in the U.S, has anyone here used this service and if so what is the quality like and what are their prices like compared to local machine shops in Australia.

Looking forward to your responses

Quote Originally Posted by RASPNC
    Hi Everyone

I am also looking into using www.emachineshop.com in the U.S, has anyone here used this service and if so what is the quality like and what are their prices like compared to local machine shops in Australia.

Looking forward to your responses
    Hello from Boston, Mass.(usa) Welcome to our little group. I would think that any shop in your great land of oz can do as good a job as e-machine. Even if the price per part is more shipping and handling and time may be your limiting factor. As by using your fellow craftsman you can modify and rework changes much easer than with e-machine. Say your part changes and you move a hole location now you’re down the street anyways.

Thanks Mike

Hi RASPNC ,
    You need to find a retired machinist who has a home workshop.
    I know of a guy here in Newcastle, and another in Warwick. But you really need a guy close by, as you will need to interact a bit if you want to get the job done properly. There are some easy ways and hard ways to set up your job, without the benefit of manufacturing experience you will more than likely create something that is unnecessarily difficult to manufacture.

Where to find these guys:
    ** You have a lot of automotive parts manufacturers in Melbourne (who have been laying off lately) , ring them up, ask to speak to their engineering manager, he will know of any retired machinists interested in odd jobs.
    ** Universities , eg chem, physics, engineering depts, talk to their workshop guys, they usually have really odd jobs that they farm out to a network of retired guys, as they can't afford to pay normal hourly rates for all the fiddly stuff required.
    ** These retired guys also like to dabble in model railways, and model airplanes, so if you can find local clubs , they will know of these people.
    ** Ebay , these guys still need to buy cutters and stuff, check with sellers who might cater to them , eg LPR toolmakers http://stores.ebay.com.au/The-Engineers-Shop

Also have you considered using laser cut brackets in ~2mm mild steel, in combination with aluminium RHS for the rails?. You need a bit of imagination, but you make slots and tabs in the laser cut brackets so they fit together to make 3 dimensional assemblies, which you then screw to the rails. You make the alignment jigs at the same time. Have slots in the brackets where you need to bend them. You can assemble everything with hand tools. Down side is the cost. Usually a minimum cost of $50 to $200.
    Plummer blocks for your ballscrew end bearing are easiest in big chunks of aluminium, but can still be made by stacking multiple sheets of laser cut steel together.
    Cheers, BobT

Hi

RASPNC 06-17-2006, 05:08 AM , i see it is a old post but how are things going in you cnc design , any luck getting your brackets cut ?

Since your in Melbourne Victoria maybe you can attend the next CNCZONE-Melbourne BBQ in less than three months time. Great bunch of guys from this forum attend and even guests are allowed. If you have your own cnc machine you might like to bring along for demonstration or anything related to cnc topic to display.

8th CNC BBQ (Saturday 24th May 2008)(Melbourne Australia)
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...ne+BBq&page=10

You get to meet members of this forum and see their cnc-projects on display and working demonstrations.

Download your free eMachine design software here
    http://www.emachineshop.com/download/index.htm nice piece of software that you have posted in this thread.

If you haven't had any luck getting you brackets cut or need more brackets cut for a new machine for you cnc project try Benny AKA ynneb , Looking for additional cutting work. ( Melbourne Australia) http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5508

cheers

Smile

Hi RASPNC,
    I Have small Metal and Wood Workshop in Garage, Equipped Wood Table Saw Drill Press Motorised Frett saw, Jig saw and for Metal Work a EMCO Compact 8 Lathe with a small Milling Attachment and a lot various attachments and Tools, a Motorised Metal Band Saw, Two Bench Grinders as well as hand Grinder and a Electric Welder.

I am retired and have a lot of spare time and is reasonably experienced in using this Workshop and it's tools.
    I also have started to get together parts to build a CNC Router but will be doing most the Work myself Table as I have a very limited Budget.
    I also live in Melbourne in Narre Warren South the just before you get to Berwick, I am looking for somebody to collaborate with, they would be welcome use this facility from time to time.

John (jfh2007)
    [email protected]