585,969 active members*
4,602 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Steppers and driver choice

Hi,
    I am building a small CNC router/engraver for making plexiglass panels for my flight sim.

CNC's body is made from MDF and was cut on a professional CNC router, it is fully assembled. I am using chinese linear bearings. For motors I will use NEMA 23.

I will post current build state photos tomorrow.

I would like to hear your's opinion about these two drivers:

3Axis CNC New Stepper Motor Driver DM420A 1 7A 12 36VDC 128MICOSTEP Bipolar | eBay

CNC 3 Axis Stepper Driver 3 5A Breakout Interface Board for Router System Kit | eBay

Also what would be the best motor torque and do you know for any good deals on ebay for NEMA 23's?

Re: Steppers and driver choice

BUMP

I would avoid those Chinese drivers off Ebay. Yes, they are cheap, but when they don't work, what support do you think you're going to get? We hear every day from people who have bought stuff like this and are stuck with it. Get your drivers from someone who can be reached directly, and who speaks your language. They may cost a little more, but it's worth it. Ask whomever sells you the drivers about which motors are best suited to them and your intended usage; all 23-frame motors are not the same.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

What is the cheapest but good solution with decent support?

Would it not be better to first select the motor(s) and find a suited driver afterwards?

From what I see, this is for a "I'm building this stuff for fun and only my private use" kind of project. I assume this cnc maskin will run "now and then" and not for time critical stuff. For that kind of scenario I cant see much wrong in bying from china. But you will probably be on your own - and depending on your own knowledge and help from forum peers - if you need help. That might, or might not, be ok, depending on your situation and priorities.

PS: Nema 23 is a standard that defines the mount that the motor will fit onto. It says absolutly nothing essential about the motor you will be using.

I know Nema 23 is just standard for motor mount and mounting holes on my CNC's body are cut to it. Yes this CNC is for my private use and it will run now and then.

I have now narrowed my choice to few ebay listing:

1. Promotion 3Axis NEMA 23 Stepper Motor 287oz Driver 24 50VDC CNC Free SHIPPIN | eBay 215$
    I have read nothing but good about longs motor and the price seems decent and even includes psu. Is this psu strong enough?

2. 【German SHIP Free】3Axis Nema23 Wantai Stepper Motor 283oz 3A 2PH 3D CNC Driver | eBay 198$
    This package is cheaper than package 1. but I have read good and bad reviews about wantai motor.

3. 3 Axis NEMA 23 Wantai Stepper Motor 270oz in 3A 2 Phase 6 Leads CNC Controller | eBay and CNC 5 Axis Breakout Board Interface for Stepper Motor Driver Mil Water Pump | eBay 171,98$
    What would be recommended psu specs?

4. Motors: Nema23 270 oz in CNC Stepper Motor 3 0A Dual Shaft | eBay 89$ or http://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-kit-3Axi...item4ac06dc89c 118.75$
    Drivers: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281221235650...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 79$ or http://www.ebay.com/itm/190912663728...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 86,98$
    Two motors and drivers choices but which one is the best and what are the recommended psu specs?

Now what is the best option of the above? I personally think 1. but it is also the one with the highest price. Price is a major deciding factor for me so if any of the other cheaper packages is going to do it for me than I would go for it.

What do you guys think about above items and which one is the best for my setup?

Here is picture of current state of my build:

Attachment 232850

I think Leadshine driver and motors is better than Wantai and long-motors,
    Sell CNC Engraving Machine Parts.
    http://stores.ebay.com/cnctechzone